Has anyone went from lap band to gastric bypass?

Clara1230
on 8/20/15 8:29 pm

Had band surgery in 2009. Have lost about 45 lbs.  Having problems with band.  Wanted to know if anyone has went from band to bypass?  What are the pros and cons?  Is there a problem with getting the insurance to approve it?  Thank you.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/20/15 11:01 pm - OH

The are lots of people *****vised band to RNY here, and you may want to post on the Revisions forum. The questions you asked, though, are very specific ones that no one else can really answer for you.

Some insurance policies will cover a revision, and some won't.  If they cover it, the requirements may be very different from someone else's.  (Also, if you still have the same insurance policy you had for the band surgery, a revision may be excluded if it has a "one WLS" restriction.) You really have to contact your insurance company about your specific policy to find out (since even other policies from the same company may be very different).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Queen JB
on 8/21/15 5:22 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Hello, I am just under 5 weeks out from my revision surgery from Band to Bypass and I couldn't be happier. My complications were typical--frequent vomiting, dysphasia, and severe reflux. It was so very hard to eat those dense proteins and follow the rules to lose weight. I managed to keep off the majority of the weight I lost, but it was hard, and not a very healthy way to live.

I felt the difference between the two surgeries within hours. I could swallow without pain and discomfort, immediately! And now that I am meeting more solid foods, I am finding how much easier it is to eat healthy. I did a serious happy dance yesterday morning when I ate eggs and shredded chicken for breakfast with NO issues. Felt like a miracle. Now when I am full I know because I feel full, not because I start filling with phlegm and vomit for hours.

Those are the pros! Cons...? Can't think of one, yet!

I can't say anything about insurance. My surgeon was a rock-star and managed to get it approved--one denial, but got it through pretty quickly. But every insurance company is very different and has different rules.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Dibaby45
on 8/21/15 7:02 am

I'm 8 weeks out of band to bypass revision. I am sooo happy with my choice. Even though I had a complication where I had to have an EGD done twice so far because of a stricture in my esophagus that closes it up and I couldn't even drink at one point. Apparently it's more common in band to bypass patients. It really wasn't a big deal of a procedure and I seem fine now. Time will tell. But the best thing is I have no inflammation like I did before in my hands when I had the band. Day of surgery it just went away. So weird. My insurance was easily approved because I was having so many issues with my band. It was very quick. I had no wait time or extra things I had to do for approval. I can't think of any cons. :)

Felicity Q.
on 8/21/15 8:10 am
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Clara,

I haven't had my revision surgery yet to get rid of the band, but I did want to chime in with some pointers to add to what others have said.

I asked the same questions you did, except I didn't know about this forum NOR the high failure rate of the band.  So instead, I just *****ed and whined to my husband.  He found out that his boss had some of the same issues as I did with the lap-band and had a revision to a gastric sleeve and was incredibly successful.  I assumed the problem was entirely on my shoulders and I was a failure.  Hearing that someone else had the same struggle and came out successful on the other side was quite encouraging so I started my research.

Everyone's experience and process will be a little bit different. For me, I sought out a surgeon who was willing to call my insurance on my behalf and find out if a revision was covered. From there, scheduled the consult and jumped through the hoops (much like when getting approved for the lap band). I had to serious medical issues/risks; my lap-band just wasn't successful for me and I had only lost about 40lb in 4 years.  I was approved 5 days after the surgeon's office submitted the pre-authorization request and I am scheduled for Sept 28th. All in all, from the day of my first consult with the surgeon to actual surgery date will be 3 months and 9 days. I was very quick to get all of the required testing done, and extremely persistent with my doctors to send the surgeon's office the necessary records. I was not required to undergo the 3-6 month medically supervised diet again.

Anyway - hopefully I shared something useful!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

sqlchick19
on 8/22/15 8:30 pm
RNY on 12/15/14

I'm 9 months out from my band to bypass revision.  Omg.  Night and day.  I can't even believe these WLS are mentioned in the same breath.

I had my band out in 2008.  Spent 5 years gagging, choking, getting stuck and vomiting.  I couldn't eat chicken, salad, shrimp...you know, things that are healthy...it would get stuck.  I'd wake up choking, developed chronic asthma/cough.  It sucked.  I lost 80 lbs...but needed to get the band loosened a few times during the 5 years...because I was having such difficulties...and regained 60.  After years of being told my original surgeon that I was eating too fast, and not chewing enough, I changed Drs.  My new dr tested my esophagus...and turns out 30-50% of my swallows didn't empty into my stomach...my esophogus was seriously compromised.

i revised to a RNY this past Dec.  BEST THING EVER!!! No choking, no getting stuck, I can eat pretty much anything I choose (except sugar and high fat...I dump). I choose not to have pasta, bread or rice...but I could if I wanted it (I'd get stuck on rice and bread with the band).  I've lost over 100 lbs.  it's a freaking miracle surgery....I feel like it truly reset me to "normal"...I put in the work, and it works for me.

I have FIVE (yes, FIVE) friends who've revised from the band over the last year.  Some to RNY, some Sleeve.  They all say the same thing.  

i cannot begin to tell you how free I feel without that band.

Best of luck to you! 

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

Most Active
Recent Topics