Revising from sleeve to rny

amystimetoshine
on 10/9/15 7:54 pm - Pleasant Hill, CA

HI, I had a sleeve 5 years ago. I got down to within 15 lbs of my goal (20 lbs now). I have extremely severe GERD.... I have had to be on TPN at times and in the past 6 months I have had 4 aspiration pneumonias from choking on acid. Anyway, I am scheduled for a revision to RNY on 11/24/15. One of my concerns is that I went into adrenal insufficiency this summer and I may have to be on a very low dose steroid long term. My surgeon and my GI doctor think the risks from my bad pneumonias are greater than the risks of low dose steroid with protonix.

I just have a few questions? Did you become lactose intolerant after surgery? Have any of you revised from a sleeve? Does eating feel different? What about a sense of being full? Any issues with acid reflux?

Any advice anyone has for getting ready for surgery or for things to have in home after surgery/first few weeks I would really appreciate!!! Thanks, Amy

HW 319   SW  277  CW 180  GW 169
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/10/15 9:01 am

I have RNY and adrenal insufficiency. I am on steroids - replacement dosage.

Because of the malabsorbtio. - I learn to chew my small tablets. And try to absorb that this way... I have been dealing with that in the last 3 years or so... It is a fine line between enough and too much.

Lately we (me and my doc) are trying to mix prednisone andHC. Prendisone is better controlling inflamation, and is longer lasting hormone (needs to be converted to cortisone), while HC (hydrocortisone) is fast acting and at the same time gets processed by body rather fast...

Combination of those 2 helps my back pain better thanHC, plus I noticed more even energy... I can always Updose with HC as needs. Even 2.5 mg extra HC makes a difference for me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sqlchick19
on 10/15/15 4:28 am
RNY on 12/15/14

I revised from the lap band. I was told I couldn't have the sleeve because it created the same "high pressure" system the band created (my esophagus was failing, and I had chronic asthma from constantly aspirating), and gerd, and I always felt like I was choking.

The RNY cleared that up IMMEDIATELY.

As for feeling full...low pressure system the RNY creates means that the food isn't pressing up against your esophagus when you over eat (like with the band and sleeve)....so it's a very different sensation. The first couple of months I spent learning thenew triggers of hunger and fullness. It's very important to measure everything.

i haven't had huge issues with lactose intolorance...and I get lots of my protein in with Greek yogurt, cheese and milk...however I notice only when I have skim milk (in my coffee or mixed with my protein shake), sometimes I'll have an upset stomach....so I tend to use whole milk in my coffee, and FairLife skim milk (high protein milk that's low lactose). It's only the skim milk that bothers me.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you!

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views