New post-op and lactose intolerant

Angelique J.
on 10/15/15 10:47 am - Allentown, PA

I had surgery on 9-21 and I wasn't before, but I am now...Lactose Intolerant. Ugh. So I have been able to get my protein in now in the pureed stage without protein drinks (mostly because the non-lactose ones are expensive as all get out). I have had (I'll keep this as TMI friendly as possible) guts that you cannot trust to leave the house with since surgery up until my NUT had me do 5 days completely lactose-free. At that point I was still iffy, but definitely not solid. I haven't been solid yet, just not as bad as it was. I tested negative for cdiff. I have been taking Immodium AD at the reccomendation of my surgeons office and that I need about every 2 days.

I am okay with real style greek yogurt (not greek-style yogurt, if that makes sense) butter, and cottage cheese, but it has to be full fat because that has less sugar. Anything above that on the lactose scale and noooooo. No, no, no.

So, what has other people's experience with lactose intolerance been after surgery and moving forward Did you grow out of it, as it were? Have any luck with lactaid pills? How did you get creative with your protein? Thanks!

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

White Dove
on 10/15/15 11:20 am - Warren, OH

I buy Lactaid milk and always take lactaid pills if I have any dairy products that are not lactose free.

My lactose intolerance went away sometime in the last year as suddenly as it started. I still buy the Lactaid but have had dairy now with lactose and no pills and been fine.

I still have Immodium pills around just in case.

What also helps is Citucel fiber tablets. They keep everything solid without causing gas like Benefiber and most other fiber supplements.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jenorama
on 10/15/15 11:26 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

A few years before I decided to go the surgical route, I did a medically supervised diet the consisted of shakes and entrees. The shakes were dairy-based and while I'd never had problems with milk in the past, I had to take Lactaid because I was having 5 to 7 of these shakes daily and it was just too much for me to handle. Give the Lactaid a try and see if it helps. If it doesn't and you need to supplement your protein with a shake, there are alternatives you can try. I personally haven't found a vegan one I like, but I've had good luck with egg white-based ones and there is a beef protein-based one called Carnivor that my husband likes.

Jen

rocky513
on 10/15/15 11:30 am, edited 10/15/15 4:32 am - WI

Whey Isolate is 99% lactose free. If there is whey concentrate listed on the label it contains lactose. Walmart carries Body Fortress Whey Isolate for about $20 a tub. I'm lactose intolerant and have had no problems with this protein.

Your bowel problems will get better when you start a more solid diet. Right now it's kind of a "liquids in, liquids out" thing. In fact, you may become constipated, which is the most common problem after WLS. Lactose intolerance is probably the biggest culprit with your diarrhea.

I'm 5 years out from RNY and am still VERY lactose intolerant. I mix my protein powder with cashew milk, almond milk, or water. Cheese and Greek yogurt don't bother me. I make my own Greek yogurt in my crock pot so I am in control of what's in it. There are lots of tutorials online to make it. It saves a lot of money too.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Eggface
on 10/15/15 12:29 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

It's strange... I'm similar... milk from a cow in the liquid form and I'm doubled over... but cheese (THANK YOU BABY JESUS), yogurt, all fine. I don't have issues with whey isolate proteins but I don't mix them with cow's milk... I do soy or almond or a combo... maybe try one of those or jus****er and see if you have issues. Lactaid (Lactose Free) milk but it's usually a little pricy.

Though... remember until you are eating more solids umm... you know... liquids in = liquids out ;)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

crazy4birds
on 10/16/15 11:13 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I have been lactose intolerant since 1995 and I take the Lactaid pills and drink Lactaid milk. No problems with dairy after taking these items.

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Most Active
Recent Topics