Surgery was yesterday, feeling super tired!

mherman89
on 10/23/15 8:39 pm

My surgery was about 36 hours ago and I've been out of the hospital about 6 hours now. I'm so crazy tired, every time I try to concentrate, my eyes get droopy and I want to just doze all day. Is that just the anesthesia wearing off?

My pain medication hasn't helped at all, every time I stand up to walk, it feels like something pulling my stomach down to the floor and makes me want to lay down. I walked about 1.5 miles already today but I'm worried maybe it's not enough? Anyone feel that?

selhard
on 10/23/15 9:43 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I was told not to drive for a week because of anesthesia effects and risk of injury driving presents. I dozed in between 2 long naps per day. A favorite thing someone said about those first days home, "your body is in major WTF mode." I did get up to move but pretty sure walking from room to room didn't add up to anywhere near 1.5 miles. I'd suggest a velcro band around your middle to give you support and a more secure feeling; most hospitals send you home with one saying to wear it up to six weeks. If you don't have a support band, try holding a pillow against your abdomen. I had a prescription for adult-strength liquid Tylenol that worked well for pain. You'll be in happy mode before you know it. Happy Dozing.

mherman89
on 10/23/15 10:15 pm

Yeah I was prescribed Tylenol with codeine but it hasn't been helping.

Velcro band or pillow sounds interesting! I was told not to put any pressure on my stomach at all... Did your doctor say to do that?

selhard
on 10/24/15 3:54 am, edited 10/23/15 8:57 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Yes, I was sent home from the hospital wearing an abdominal binder; it looked like an elastic wrap, measured 9" wide, and stayed snug with velcro. It helped me maneuver and feel more secure than without it. Please follow your doctor's orders and phone his/her office to express your discomfort concerns with both the stomach issue and Tylenol with codeine not helping. You should be given helpful suggestions to make your recovery more tolerable. Was your surgery completed using an open incision? Mine was five lap holes and the same Tylenol you were prescribed put me right to sleep in no time. Edited to say: if your doctor gives the ok and you are interested in an abdominal binder, Walmart sells one for $15.

floweringgemini
on 10/24/15 6:14 am - Rocky Point, NC

I am 5 days out now. The first 3 days all i did was sleep pretty much. I walked abt 30 minutes and got up and walked around the house a little bit but I slept A LOT. I was running out of pain meds after 2 days. I as full of intestinal gas which the pain meds did not help actually made it worse. I called my Dr office, they had me get an enema and after that I was able to poo a little and the gas started moving. I burp a lot now but I have not taken pain meds since before the enema. The relief was amazing. We are all great help but dont be afraid to call the surgeons nurse. That is what they are there for. ONLY they know what exactly was done inside you and can tell you exactly how to relieve it. I was mad did not want an enema and thought it was BS but today I am just a little sore at the incision sites, I am doing laundry cooking cleaning and carrying on like it never happened. Except of course for the fact that I am not hungry and eating all morning. Good luck to you. If you have not pooed since before surgery that could very well be an issue for you.

Maria27
on 10/24/15 7:49 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

It will get better. The first day I felt like you are describing and couldn't stand having my head raised too high. But the worst part for me was the antinausea medication. It prevented me from being able to concentrate on anything, and I started feeling much better once I stopped taking it. Take it easy for now. I mostly just laid on the couch for the first wee****rtainly didn't walk as much as you. Hang in there!

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Lisa09
on 10/24/15 2:02 pm - NH

Rest and take care. You just had major surgery. I can't believe you're home already. I was told to expect 3 days in hospital for bypass and an extra day for a lap band removal revision.

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

hollykim
on 10/24/15 2:36 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 24, 2015 at 3:39 AM Pacific Time, mherman89 wrote:

My surgery was about 36 hours ago and I've been out of the hospital about 6 hours now. I'm so crazy tired, every time I try to concentrate, my eyes get droopy and I want to just doze all day. Is that just the anesthesia wearing off?

My pain medication hasn't helped at all, every time I stand up to walk, it feels like something pulling my stomach down to the floor and makes me want to lay down. I walked about 1.5 miles already today but I'm worried maybe it's not enough? Anyone feel that?

um, what were you expecting?

burgoya
on 10/24/15 7:45 pm

Relax. It is ok to sleep. You just had major surgery. Fluids, sleep and walk a little. You will feel better.

Laura in Texas
on 10/24/15 8:15 pm

I think I slept most of the first week and a lot of the second week, too. This is major surgery.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."