Liver enzymes

angel91e
on 11/3/15 9:37 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I admit I rarely post anymore and my life has pretty much returned to a normal pattern. I eat fairly normally now and my weight is stable at goal.

I have been thrilled overall but all of a sudden out of nowhere week before last I ended up with severe swelling in my feet and legs (approx 25 pounds of excess water weight in a little over 3 days!) which was dealt with by standard diuretics and compression hose. Ok strange but not that big a deal. Then over the weekend I ended up in the hospital with my liver enzymes being over 4 times their normal range. I was tested for hepatitis and other liver damaging diseases thankfully all came back negative and now just as suddenly everything is normal and fine.

I was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience or any speculation on what the heck I did wrong to cause such strange sudden changes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am utterly mystified myself.

Thankfully I am doing well now so just now more a matter of curiosity than necessity

aesposito
on 11/3/15 11:03 am

Not sure about the pedal edema (which can be kidney failure, liver failure, cardiac, all kinds of things... maybe not even related to the other issue).

But elevated liver enzymes can appear in the case of gallstones or pancreatitis. Even without a gallbladder, you can still create stones and get them stuck in the common bile duct -- happened to me, a week AFTER getting my GB out. They wouldn't let me out of the hospital until my liver and pancreas numbers came back down.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

angel91e
on 11/3/15 2:22 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

Good to know. I admit that since I have been feeling better I have been putting off going in for the follow up recommend. I guess I'll quit putting it off

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

seattledeb
on 11/3/15 3:19 pm

Please go. Your liver is very important. No Tylenol or alcohol too but I'm sure they let you know that.

Deb T.

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/15 6:36 am

I would do a follow up with your doctor. I had liver enzymes which were very high but I didn't have the edema. I know it stinks going to doctors but you had this surgery to get healthy. So get checked out.

Most Active