IBS

ywalton
on 1/14/16 12:50 pm - Sycamore, OH
RNY on 02/18/13

I was diagnosed with IBS and the dr. Put me on a med to help control the diarrhea but it made me feel like I had a UTI.  I talked to the Dr and he said there is no other med I can take.  Put up with the UTI feeling or the diarrhea.

Does anyone have any ideas. Plus thanks to the diarrhea I've actually gained 25 pounds, but u don't know why..

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/14/16 1:37 pm

Google SIBO..

Not sure how can you gain weight with diarrhea.Typically people should lose. Unless you try to compensate and eat a lot of carbs. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ywalton
on 1/15/16 1:48 pm - Sycamore, OH
RNY on 02/18/13

I was on a med called remeron found out its for wait gain,  dam dr....

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/15/16 2:18 pm

that drugs can cause weight gain but only when the patient eats too much while on it.   

I am on daily steroids - so theoretically I should be gaining weight - and I do if I eat too much and eat the wrong things.  Steroids cause increase in appetite, plus insulin resistance. But b following rather strict diet I am able to maintain... or even lose some if I really work on that. 

It is not easy, I can tell you that - but it is doable. 

For IBS- the cramps and pain - I try to follow a very strict diet - avoiding most FODMAP foods. plus I follow rather low carbs diet, higher in fats.  

The meds my doc prescribed for me are Hyoscyamine. I take 2-4 of those sublingually if I get gut spasms.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 1/15/16 3:53 pm - Warren, OH

Antidepressants do cause weight gain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/17/16 12:39 pm - OH

Remeron is an antidepressant; it is not for weight gain.  It is, however, notorious for causing weight gain.  Other antidepressants can cause weight gain, but these medications don't do anything magic to your body that just causes you to gain weight despite what you are eating. They result in weight gain because they cause an increase in appetite and people don't do enough to control what, and how much, they are eating while they take them. Often, people don't even realize that their appetite has increased.

So, unfortunately, if you gained 25 pounds, you need to look at what you are eating and at your portion sizes.  Also, as others have said, people with diarrhea LOSE weight (a lot of it is water weight, but some is from malabsorption), not gain it.

I'm sorry you are having trouble, and I know thsi probably sounds *****y, but the weight gain is from what you are putting in your mouth and not acknowledging that, and fixing it,will only lead to additional weight gain.  We have ALL been on that road.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

crazy4birds
on 1/14/16 11:53 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I too have IBS-D.  Imodium is my friend.

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

ywalton
on 1/15/16 1:55 pm - Sycamore, OH
RNY on 02/18/13

How do you use it and does it help with the cramping and spasms 

crazy4birds
on 1/15/16 6:42 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

It's an over the counter pill.  It stops diarrhea and helps with the cramps.  Before I had WLS I used to take about 8 a day.  I wouldn't recommend that.  Haven't needed it as much since RNY.  Never heard of taking anti depressants for IBS but they are used for fibro so IDK.

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/16 2:46 pm

I am sorry but having the ****s is not going to make you gain weight. Not trying to be mean but I have IBS which sucks. Has gotten better since RNY. I think you need to track your food and measure it. 

Sorry but IBS is horrible. I hate that I know where every bathroom is in the northeast.