Any trouble losing excess skin?

Nate K
on 1/24/16 3:57 am - Akron, OH

Hello all,

I am about to be going for surgery in three weeks, I was wondering if you had surgery, did you have any problem losing excess skin?

Any tips on what is best to lose the excess skin as it is my understanding insurance does not cover.

Thank you!

Han Shot First
on 1/24/16 4:52 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do.  There's a bunch of factors that will influence how you'll look afterwards, including age, how long you were overweight, how overweight you are, where your weight is carried, do you smoke or ever have smoked, genetics, etc.

You're pretty young, so you might get lucky, but you also have a significant amount to lose, so there's probably not a lot you'll be able to do about it.  

Insurance will sometimes cover it if it is medically necessary.  You need to lose the weight, keep it off for a while, and then it needs to be documented that it is causing problems.  I carried a lot of my weight in my stomach, so I have a lot of skin that hangs down over my waist.  I just spoke with my insurance carrier this week, and they said it will be covered if it's medically necessary.  I started having my doctor document it about six months ago, and I'm being referred to a plastic surgeon.  

Call your insurance company and ask if your policy covers skin reconstruction after massive weight loss.  They should be able to tell you and let you know.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/24/16 6:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Everything Bill said above.

I personally did not have any trouble losing the extra skin. I know exactly where it is.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CathyWray
on 1/25/16 6:53 am - Madison, TN

LOL