cooking with oil

canadianmommyof2
on 2/14/16 6:40 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi there, 

My surgery is not until the middle of March. Just wondering, do you guys cook with oil. If so,  do you measure. Our is ok of limits after. When cooking with oil,  I  mean using to saute,  or marinate or in salads. 

Thanks, 

Jen

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/14/16 7:27 pm

I avoid carbs - starches, grains, sugars, even fruits... 

Fats - are my friends. Good fats,: nuts, avocado, coconut, olives, ghee, bacon... 

I get sick if I eat too much fat, specially heavily processed fats.. (vegetable oils  ) 

But natural fats are great. 

Though - I need to make sure my carbs are low when I am increasing fats.. 

Carbs + fats together = weight gain for me... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Eggface
on 2/14/16 7:39 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I cook with oil... olive usually (saute, roasting veggies, marinating, the minimal amount to get the job done.) I use butter when making gravies (minimal, 1 T. for the entire recipe type thing), I use non-stick cooking spray (some saute jobs, baking). I rarely use salad dressings and if I do it's Greek Yogurt based usually (added protein) but occasionally EVOO in a vinaigrette for a bean salad.

Fat = flavor, IMHO.  

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Kathyjs
on 2/14/16 8:52 pm

I use olive oil

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/16 10:23 pm - CA

I use EVOO and coconut oil, depending on the dish.  I use as little as possible to get the desired effect.  

Nik

poet_kelly
on 2/14/16 10:55 pm - OH

I use olive oil and only small amounts.  Olive oil is a healthy fat and we need some healthy fats in our diet, just not large amounts of it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

canadianmommyof2
on 2/15/16 5:33 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks everyone for your feedback. That helps a lot. Nutritionist had food me is better to cut out oil. Now I'm not that worried. 

Thanks

chulbert
on 2/15/16 6:42 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I generally avoid added oils and fats.  Whole foods that are "high" in fats, like nuts and avocado, are fantastic in moderation.  While some fats are healthier than others I don't consider any refined, added fat to be healthy.  They're a lot of calories for almost no nutrition.

canadianmommyof2
on 2/15/16 6:47 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Do you use water to cook?  That's what I used to do to saute when I was on weigh****chers. 

chulbert
on 2/15/16 6:58 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I tend to bake, roast, and steam.  But yes, you can use water with a good non-stick pan.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 248 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views
Recent Topics