Havent been here in months, 3 years post op and have medication question about Qsymia.

RainbowRN
on 2/16/16 11:11 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

So I know I'm probably gonna get some slack for this question but I'm going to ask it anyways.

I had RNY 3 years ago. Started out at 373 lbs.  I lost all the way down to 195 lbs. Maintained it for awhile but then I had back issues and eventually had back surgery.  I was pretty much immobile and depressed for 4 months.  I was sad because I couldn't work and because short term disability sucks, so finances were awful.  I basically ate my feelings.  All the stuff I used to do before my RNY.  Thank GOD that I had the RNY because had I not, I would have gained A LOT more weight than I actually did.  I went from 195 to 237 and I've been at this weight for a few months now and I simply cannot get this weight off!!  My surgery is still working for me because I can't eat very much at a time but I've been grazing a lot and making poor food choices which is how I gained the weight back. 

So, I went to my bariatric doc for some help with getting this extra 40 pounds off.  He told me that I had lost and kept off over 130 lbs and he was very proud of me.  I told him that I wasn't ready for this to be my official weight.  I'm tall (5'10") so at 237 lbs, I'm a size 16/18 and an XL.  He told me I should be happy at that but I'm not.  I got down to 195 and I really wanna get back there.  My problem is my appetite.  I feel like its back with avengence.   SO the doc prescribed me Qsymia.  Its a phentermine/topomax combo drug and its suppose to help with appetite. Now, Ive taken phentermine pre op and it did work for me but only a limited time because you could only take it for 3 months and then had to stop it so the effects lasted as long as you took it.  It really did help with getting rid of my appetite but its not a long term drug. 

Well, apparently, this Qsymia has been FDA approved as a long term drug.  Its a low dose of phentermine with the topomax.  Now for those of you that aren't familiar with topomax, its an anti seizure med that also works on migraines as well as is suppose to take away the appetite.  I have suffered with migraines for years and take a daily migraine med.  If this new med works for me, then I can stop taking the migraine med that I am currently on.  SO its going to help in several ways.  

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this?  Now I know I'm going to get slack about inquiring about an appetite supresssant med but I wanna hear about anyones experience with this particular medication.  I am completely aware of everything that anyone wants to try and school me on.  Been there, done that.  I'm not going to argue.  If it works for me, then great.  If not then I guess I am destined to be a size 16 forever which honestly isn't that bad but I so wanna get back to 195. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

rocky513
on 2/16/16 11:29 am - WI

If the med helps your migraine headaches, great, but you and I both know that if diet pills worked there would be no need for WLS.  You know what to do because you've done it before.

Eliminating all simple carbs and eating dense protein and veggies will suppress your appetite a lot better than pills will.  More importantly, figure out why you are eating your feelings and fix that.

Best of Luck!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

RainbowRN
on 2/16/16 11:35 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Thank you for the reply but I honestly am aware of everything that you just told me.  How it sounds to me is when someone gives me a hard time for having WLS.   I've been told before like many other people, "Why did you have gastric bypass when all you have to do is eat right and exercise to lose the weight??"  I know many of us have heard that before.  But I did what I had to do and so did everyone else.

I'm not stupid.  I'm aware of the side effects and finding out why I'm eating in the first place.  Been dealing with weight issues all my life.  I'm asking a question about people who have tried Qsymia and if it has worked for them.  I don't need a lecture about weight loss.

rocky513
on 2/16/16 11:49 am - WI

Not lecturing... just stating the facts ...and nobody called you stupid.

Carbs make you crave more carbs.  Getting the simple carbs out of your life is essential to keeping the weight off.   Detoxing off carbs is "white knuckle" hard, but after a few weeks the cravings will stop and the hunger issues get better.  It REALLY is the best appetite suppressant.  Eating dense protein keeps you feeling satisfied, longer.  Just facts, no judgement.

We ALL have dealt with weight issues for most or all of our lives.  I was born a fat kid.  I get it.  I understand how important it is to get to the bottom of why we self sabotage our weight loss.  I also know that I am a food addict who has to measure portions, watch my carb intake, and examine my motives for eating daily or I know I will gain weight.  I am 5 years out from RNY and still within 5 pounds of my lowest weight.

You might want to take the chip off your shoulder and look at this post for what it is... friendly advice from someone who's been there, done that.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/16/16 12:23 pm

I think your response to Rocky is very negative - angry. 

You had issues with temper before... something is not right..  

adding a stimulant to the mix may not be an answer... I think Rocky was rather nice suggesting you find out why you chose to eat up your emotions.. and deal with that... 

my friend took those pills for 2 weeks... not only they are rather expensive - but the anger, and anxiety that caused was not worth the weight loss..  She dropped the pills, use the money for a monthly counseling session and .. yoga classes... Not only she lost 20 lbs but we can invite her now to social gathering...and she is much more happy...

she needed balance.. and the weight was a result of her life not being balanced... 

get a grip girl...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

RainbowRN
on 2/16/16 12:52 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I have a grip.  I just don't like being lectured on things I already know.  I used to love this place but I find it so hard to get a simple question answered. We are all different.  We don't all fit into the same mold. 

rocky513
on 2/16/16 3:02 pm - WI

Actually, scientifically, we all do fit into the same mold.  Our bodies burn simple carbs first ( before it burns the fat stores).  If we eat too many simple carbs our bodies don't burn fat for fuel, it burns the carbs.  If we eat protein and non-starchy veggies our bodies become a fat burning machines.  If we eat more calories than we expend, we gain weight.  There are no "special snowflakes" in the science of weight loss.

There are different personality types and people who do better on certain programs over others.  I concede that point.  There are those who have to have a huge variety in food choices and others who do well with more structured, routine, boring food choices.  The key word is CHOICES.  We ALL have make the choice to eat the foods that help us burn the most fat in order to be successful.  You are a success by your doctor's standard, but you seem to want to get your weight back down to your lowest.  The most effective way to do that is to buckle down and get back to basics.  

I wish there was a magic pill, but there isn't.  What we are trying to tell you is a diet pill is not the answer to your problem.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/16/16 3:08 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Are you calling me boring and routine?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rocky513
on 2/16/16 3:43 pm - WI

I love boring and routine!   I'll share my pork chops if you share your Italian sausage...

I eat the same thing day after day.  I eat by the clock not by my "hunger".  I'm a creature of habit.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/16/16 8:08 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm getting confused. Are we still talking about food?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 331 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 457 views