What changes have you made since RNY surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/16 12:38 pm

We can do that sometimes. This journey can be very emotional. It has major ups and downs. The other vets here are great also. I have learned a great deal from this site. 

Sometimes reading the post out loud can make it seem different. You can't hear a voice when someone types. 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/22/16 1:36 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On February 22, 2016 at 8:35 PM Pacific Time, dog_hair_dinner wrote:

That's wonderful to hear about how Laura has helped you.  It seems I read too much into the post.

Yes. She's one of the nicest and most helpful people. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Patm
on 2/22/16 1:26 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You seem to have missed the point of this post. It was about the changes people make. Laura's has been to take responsibility for her own health and diet. I think that is commendable.

I can be compassionate for people struggling and I hope they find their way but I do not want to hear an excuse as to why they are off plan. Whether it is because a friend flew in and they just had to have pizza or because it is Mondat

Roma
on 2/22/16 12:35 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

I'm only about 8 months post op, but here is my regimen since surgery.

I follow a protein-forward very low carb diet (though I eat a lot of meat, i buy local/non-factory farmed). I measure everything. I don't drink 30-40mins after eating, and don't drink soda.

I'm currently eating close to 900 calories a day, and rarely over 40g of carbs per day. This works for me as I am very carb-sensitive, and don't want to fall down the craving rabbit hole - your results may vary. 

No rewards really, but I like shopping and since sizes have been going down I get to do that a lot lately :)

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

chulbert
on 2/22/16 1:09 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I think the single best thing I've done is recalibrate my tastes to simpler, whole foods.  Almost all of us were victims of the so-called "pleasure trap," where we became so accustomed to processed food, high in salt, sugar, and fat, that it became our normal and the only thing satisfying.  When you eat pizza and potato chips all the time then things like chicken breast, steamed vegetables, or even fruits seem bland and unsatisfying.  

However, if you give up those hyper-palatable foods for long enough then your taste buds eventually follow suit and you'll start to enjoy healthier foods and find them completely satisfying.  And broadly speaking, those are the kinds of foods that are high in nutrients, low in calories, and will fill you up long before you can eat too much.  None of us got fat in the produce department.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 2/22/16 5:02 pm - Burleson, TX

DOG...I commend you, for following thru, with the responses, and really reading them. As a pre-op, you can learn an awful lot by hanging out here, asking questions, etc. It is ABSOLUTELY ok to disagree, as long as you don't bury your head, in the sand, and be an idiot...not saying you did...have seen a lot of them, in my personal time here...

I agree, with my peeps, here, about LAURA...She is one the most caring, genuine vets you will ever come across, and I can't recall ever having had a disagreement, with her

Good luck to you, on your journey

Gina/RNY/4-22-02

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Catek2652
on 2/23/16 4:23 am
RNY on 10/26/15

My priorities have changed. In fact, I'm retiring at the end of March after 22 years in the same job.

I let my husband do all the grocery shopping which he enjoys but I find to be torturous.

Protein first, veggies only if I have room.

Less than 800 calories.

Nothing fried, breaded or anything with flour in, on, or around it.

No alcohol.

No caffeine.

Three times as much water as I used to drink a day (minimum of 64 ounces)

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 3 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views