Roux-en-Y takedown/reversal Oct. 2014 with persistent complications.

CelticSoul
on 3/29/16 3:30 pm

It's been some time since I felt inclined to post on OH.  I had an RNY on 4/3/12 and endured tremendous complications, setbacks, and additional surgeries.  Through all the difficulties, I remained COMMITTED to strict adherence to the post op life of a RNY patient.  I did reach far below my goal weight...in fact, after my bowel ruptured and my lung collapsed, I weighed 113.  Suffice it to say I looked like a ravaged famine victim.  I was rushed to surgery, cut from umbilicus to sternum and had no choice but to undergo a complete takedown. 

My goal weight was 130-135.  Since the reversal I have gained about 30-35 lbs.  Obviously, for someone who worked so hard to push through the  myriad of complications, this is extremely upsetting.  But, this is not why I am posting in the general forum area.  I am having additional problems of inability to eat, defecate well, post prandial nausea and vomiting.  I saw my gastroenterologist today.  She is scheduling me for an endoscopy, colonoscopy, a 3rd HIDA scan and an anal manometry as voiding is an issue now.

I would like to connect with another Roux-en-Y reversal patient to see if they have had complications such as mine following the surgery. 

I was told today by my gastro doc that "you will never be normal again"  the surgeries have altered how food is tolerated, processed and evacuated.  I worked in healthcare for over 40 years so I am not naïve regarding post op complications, etc.  What I am absolutely terrified off is the recurrence of new anastomotic ulcers at the reattachment sites, another internal hernia, obstruction and NUMBER ONE fear...is loss of a portion of my colon requiring a colostomy.

Due to all the complications after the RNY, I lost my job and am now on permanent disability.  I have psoriatic arthritis (similar to rheumatoid arthritis) which is why I sought WLS initially as I have had bilateral knee replacements, left hip replacement and back surgery. 

The fear of weight gain is always looming but, I really would like to connect with someone who has had similar problems who could chat a bit about their experience and recovery.

I did look through some of the forums w/out much success so, forgive me for posting here, but hoping it leads me to some support.

Wishing all continued good health and success on your WL journey.

Regards,

Celtie

Kakesie
on 3/29/16 4:39 pm
RNY on 02/19/16

Wow!  I'm so sorry you've had such a terrible time!

~  Karen  :)

CelticSoul
on 3/29/16 7:32 pm

Thanks for responding, Karen.  I appreciate your sentiments.

Celtie

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/29/16 5:57 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I remember your previous posts.  I doubt you get much response here.  Most of us have had few or minor complications.  

You may want to post here:  complication forum

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

CelticSoul
on 3/29/16 7:42 pm

Thanks for responding, Kat.  I do wish people would be a bit more gentle with comments and suggestions, however.  I did make friends with some here in the beginning and I wanted to "catch" up with them.  I never saved ID's (I was just sick and didn't think).  I had hoped to hear from them by posting in general forum.  I went to the "complication" forum FIRST and there were no recent posts or active threads.

Although, complications are unpleasant, they are a reality.  I live, eat and deal with BARIATRIC issues in spite of the takedown.  Nobody's ever asked if I regret having the surgery.  Nobody seems to understand that encouragement and support are STILLL appreciated.

I do understand your suggestion, but there's no support or response for me. 

Sorry to annoy those people who were more fortunate than I.

BTW...besides you, I had already had another response.

Thanks for replying.  Continued success and good health to you.

Celtie

Cheremiste
on 3/30/16 4:19 am

Hi Celtie: I'm so sorry you've had a rough time. I'll send some prayers your way.

cheremiste

39 y/o woman | Height 5'11"| SW 301 | CW 233 | GW 175

CelticSoul
on 3/30/16 2:30 pm

Thanks for your support and kind words.

Celtie 

selhard
on 3/29/16 9:15 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Words are harder to come by when responding to the small percentage of WLSers that make up the "complications" group. I am in that group with you.  Saying sorry doesn't seem enough and looking the other way doesn't seem fair.  Saying "wishing you the strength to carry on" seems  right.  Your story matters.  Thank you.

CelticSoul
on 3/29/16 10:15 pm

Dear selhard:

Thank you for ABSOLUTELY understanding how isolated, afraid and alone I feel.  I had very little compassion from my bariatric surgeon.  She didn't "deal well" with complicated patients.  After she did the takedown, I asked if I could remain at the support meetings...she said..."well, you're not a bariatric patient anymore.  That cold.

This surgery, selhard, thus far, has ruined the quality of my life (which was tough due to orthopedic issues).   It ruined us financially, I lost my job, our good health insurance, we sold family heirlooms to stay viable after the 23 times in hospital and 10 surgeries.  We couldn't keep ahead of copays.  I'm on permanent disability and Medicaid.

I don't know what your complications have been or are, but I'm sure you cope with pain, anxiety, worry and a plethora of other things.  I am terribly sorry that you have had trouble.  Feel free to gram me should you wish to chat.  I won't press because I don't want anyone to think I'm dumping my stuff on them or prying.

I came to this forum about 2 wks after my RNY-4/3/12.  I came for support.  As soon as complications happened, there was little to none of fellow support.  I don't know who to turn to and feel stupid for coming back here.  You seemed to "GET" what I was needing.  Thank you so very much.  The other (successful WLS) reply I got was from a woman *****membered me throughout all my troubles.  Instead of support, she simply suggested that I wouldn't get much support where I posted since THOSE forum participants have little to no complications.  It's an ignorant approach to supporting a fellow WLS patient-regardless of their surgical outcome.

If I didn't think I'd get booted out of this community, I would like to have an open discussion with potential WLS clients so they are COMPLETELY informed of ALL the potential good and bad issues associated with WLS. 

I'll step off my soapbox and reiterate how very much it meant to have your lovely, kind and sensitive reply.

Hoping the best of recovery and health.

Gram me should you wish anytime.

Appreciatively,

Celtie 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/29/16 10:33 pm, edited 3/29/16 3:46 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

i am sorry that you have been having these complications - they have had major impacts on your health and finances.

i read the posts here and i feel people have been supportive and kind in their responses to you.   Where the one person said that you would not get many responses because few people who post here have the kind of complications you are experiencing.  i think that was written in response to your request to hear from people who are having problems like you.  

personally, i don't care if you post every day about the risks involved with WLS.  It's major surgery, not a picnic. i don't think you would get booted off.

Sharon