Gastro?

Teio
on 4/26/16 5:56 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

I am a bit freaked out. I think I have gastro....I can't keep anything down.

i eat because I know I have to and then it all comes back.

What do I do? Do you treat it as you normally would? Crazy question but I'm new to this and it seems that I need to be extra diligent when it comes to my tiny belly.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/26/16 6:13 pm

you have "gastro"  what??? 

Gastro- is a common English-language prefix derived from the ancient Greek gastros ("stomach"). It is used in many words.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Teio
on 4/26/16 6:17 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

Gastroenteritis.....stomach flu....

it sure feels like it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/26/16 6:32 pm

push liquids... lots of them... 

they come back - push some more... Something with salt and minerals... chicken soup..(stock) 

Vitamin zero water, gatorade zero... etc.

I use activated charcoal capsules... they work well for me. 

watch for signs for dehydration... if yo feel yu are getting there - you may need ER... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Teio
on 4/26/16 6:36 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

Thank you! 

Laura in Texas
on 4/26/16 6:17 pm

"Gastro"? Did you mean stricture? Ulcer?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Teio
on 4/26/16 6:18 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

Stomach flu.

i work in a hospital and we tend to refer to it as gastro.my apologies.

CathyV
on 4/26/16 6:20 pm

that's what I was going to ask...what is "gastro"? Do you mean like a stomach virus? I don't know anything about weight loss surgery, but I am a nurse. If you aren't keeping anything down, you need to stop trying to eat. You will dehydrate yourself faster if you keep vomiting because you lose electrolytes. Concentrate on tiny and frequent sips of clear fluid only. No food or shakes until clear fluid is staying down. Then you can try other liquids/your shakes, and then whatever else you can typically eat when all that is staying down. If you are pretty recently post op, you should call your surgeon's office for instructions, especially if you can't keep even clear liquids down. That's my "nurse who knows nothing about bariatrics" generic advice. :) Maybe someone else has something more specifically helpful! 

Teio
on 4/26/16 6:33 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

Thank you!

That is what I thought needed to be done. I will call my nurse in the morning. Stomach seems to be settling but I am afraid to eat.

lol a part of me thought I'd never contract the stomach flu again. My girls had it so I am pretty sure this is it...albeit a bit delayed.

seasley
on 4/27/16 8:27 am
RNY on 12/17/15

I had an issue a few months back, you just need fluids, my surgeons nurse told me to mix some pedialite into what i was drinking to help replenish the electrolytes that was i losing, it's a little salty tasting but it will help.

Good luck and sip sip sip 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?