drinking after shake?

RNY0615
on 4/28/16 6:19 am

I saw a question the other day on here about drinking after vitamins. I have been VERY strictly following the 30+ minute rule and don't drink even a sip after taking ANYTHING in. The person asked about drinking after taking their supplements, and pretty much everyone said go ahead, it's not going to affect absorption... The purpose of it is to keep the food in our pouch longer and keep us feeling full longer. 

Well I'm a lucky one whose Vagus nerve was severed (I imagine) because I'm NEVER physically hungry. 

I was wondering if I can drink fluids after my morning protein shake? I'm not worried about the full feeling at all, but I want to make sure I'm absorbing it all. If it will affect absorption, I won't, but I wake up ridiculously thirsty every day and I always feel like once I have my breakfast shake I have to stop drinking for 30 minutes and I feel like I'm dying. Every morning I'm literally watching the cloc****il I can drink again. I won't start drinking after snacks or meals, but this morning thing has had me thrown and it would be great to remedy that! 

Heather P.
on 4/28/16 6:41 am

omg, I was seriously getting on here to ask this same exact question! 

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

rocky513
on 4/28/16 6:53 am - WI

Nutrients are absorbed in the intestines, not the pouch.  You will absorb your shakes just fine even if you drink fluids.  Shakes are liquid and will flow right through your pouch because we have no pyloric valve, essentially making the pouch a funnel.  You can drink right after a shake.  It won't hurt you.

In addition to the "no drinking rule" keeping food in your pouch longer to keep you feeling full, repeatedly drinking too soon after eating can push big chunks of food through too fast and can cause your stoma to stretch over time (especially if you don't chew properly).   This can be a real problem because if your stoma stretches you basically have a 25 foot stomach because the stoma is the same diameter as the intestines.  If this happens, you will never have restriction or feel satisfied and will be able to eat as much as you want.  There is no reliable fix for this problem.  Take care of your pouch!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

RNY0615
on 4/28/16 7:57 am

THANK YOU!!!! makes sense, and I figured after reading the vitamin advice, just making sure. I wasn't sure if drinking would also speed up the movement through the intestines, causing for even more malabsorption. You've just made my mornings a lot more bearable and my coworkers and students will have a happier me to deal with! :)  I usually drink about 50 ounces between when I wake up and 9am, but stopping for 30 minutes after my shake really makes me grumpy! haha...

I will continue to wait after eating. I chew chew chew chew chew so nothing "big" really gets into my pouch at all, but still, that's scary business about stretching the stoma! 

my food addiction wasn't at all about actual hunger, I was never really "hungry," and in fact was one of those people that didn't snack at all and only ate one meal a day (sometimes 2) it was just a REALLY big, REALLY bad meal. I ate for pleasure and succumbed to unhealthy cravings. 

So far (and I hope it sticks with me long term!) I have truly changed my life as it relates to food. I eat to nourish my body, nothing else. The whole adage eat to live, don't live to eat thing. 

Anyway, thanks again! :) Happy Thursday!

FindingCharlie
on 4/28/16 11:48 am - Saint Regis Falls, NY
RNY on 05/03/16

Thank you for your very insightful post.   

BW: 259 SW: 241 CW: 155.4GW: 125

Nothing Tastes as Good as Healthy Feels!

Heather P.
on 4/28/16 7:15 am

Thank you, that makes sense, I am always careful not to drink for 30 min after I eat, but I was also doing that with protein drinks and it dawned on me a couple days ago that maybe I don't need to.

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

lykapal
on 4/28/16 8:29 am
RNY on 05/16/16

Hah, I emailed my nutritionist this same question last week. She told me that protein shakes are considered liquid, so drink as much as I want with and after them. It's just solid foods I need to leave alone for 30 minutes. 

I had been waiting after shakes as well.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Heavens2Betsy
on 4/28/16 9:35 am
RNY on 02/29/16

Just a thought... and maybe it's just me.  But, have you checked your blood sugar recently?  It's just that waking up "ridiculously thirsty every day' raised a little flag for me.

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

RNY0615
on 4/28/16 9:40 am

BS is fine,  labs are all fine.  I drink a ton all day long (usually about 150 ounces a day or more)  and I think it's just because I go all night without drinking?  I don't know.  I've been that way all my life.  

robinreinhardt
on 4/28/16 12:13 pm

My RNY surgeon told me that's it's okay to drink after vitamins and protein shakes. Thank goodness because I am a huge water person.

Hope this helps.

Robin

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics