Be Diligent!

Neaucora
on 7/29/16 9:49 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I have not been on here for a very long time. My surgery was back in 2012 and I have since reached my goal.  I am back tonight to warn others not to forget to take care of yourselves and be diligent about your body.  I had my gallbladder removed approx 4 months after my bypass surgery. Then last summer I had a hernia repair and exploratory surgery for cramping and pain.  The hernia never showed up on any tests. But it kept hurting and surgeon was willing to take a peek anyways. Glad he did.   It was the worst surgery ever. It hurt so bad and it seemed to take forever to get to feeling good.  It hurt so bad that when I started cramping and having pain again over last winter, I was reluctant to say anything and ignored what I could. It slowly got worse. It got to the point where it hurt everyday and the cramps were everyday. To the point of causing me to double over.  I finally went to my surgeon at the start of June this year. He did all the usual tests. Ultrasound, CT etc. Nothing showed up. Then he wanted to do a scope and look for  an ulcer. I explained no blood or black stool, and there was nothing that seemed to cause it to hurt like being hurngry or eating.  He decided it was prob adhesions and scheduled surgery for adhesions and exploratory to see what else might be going on.  It was sup to be quick half hour surgery, outpatient style.  Well, surgery lasted an hour and a half. And I spent the night in the hospital.  He said he knew something was wrong right away when got in there. My remnant stomach was swollen and so was my small bowel. I had two hernias. One of which my bowel was looped through and partially blocked. If it had twisted and I ignored the pain I could have lost part of me bowel. Or it could have killed me.  He also removed some scar tissue/adhesions.  Please do not ignore things like I did. No matter how far out you are. And this surgery was nothing. I was up and moving around like normal in a few days. No lifting of course. But it did not hurt anything like the last one did. Be aware of your body. And if something is wrong, let your Dr know.  If they cant find anything, demand they keep looking. Opt for exploratory surgery if needed. Neither of the hernias or swollen remnant stomach or even the partial bowel obstruction showed up on any tests. I feel stupid for waiting as long as I did.  

MonaLisaSmile
on 7/30/16 9:28 am - Canada

Wow....thank you for this.  As scary as it is, we all need to hear it.  

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

LeslieT3440
on 7/30/16 9:45 am - Mississauga, Canada

OMG so happy to hear you got results before things got worse. Thanks for sharing Always glad to hear from others experiences it opens our eye to possible complications no matter how long post op we are.

Best wishes and keep well

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?