Is there a test results class? ;)

CJ On Orcas
on 11/30/16 10:32 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I had my 3-mo checkup yesterday.  I made a nice Excel spreadsheet with all of the test results I have to date.  However, on some of them I have no clue what they are called.  So IDK if I had an iron test.  IDK if I had copper, or zinc, or vitamin A, or vitamin B.  My PA said I am a bit anemic, but not too bad. I can ask my PCP to run these extra tests but how do I even know what I had?  Looked up all the various names.  Still clueless in Seattle.

Daisydoo02
on 11/30/16 11:01 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Does anywhere in your results say "Ferritin" or "total Iron".  That is how it reads out on my lab results and that is how I knew my Iron was dangerously low.

Several of the Vets on here can comment (WhiteDove, Grim, H.a.l.a) on good lab results and what to expect.

Also the ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) has a great site you can search and find an article on what post RNY lab results should look like.

Good luck its hard to navigate the lab results, and be warned that your PCP might not be seeing the results of a post WLS patient but a "normal" patient and say something is too high when in fact it might be too low for someone post RNY.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

CJ On Orcas
on 12/1/16 9:28 am
RNY on 09/09/16

So... I asked my PCP this morning if she can order iron, B12 (all B's) and she said there is no reason to run those tests.  My surgeon's office said the said thing and they are UW - much respected in the WLS arena.  This is my 3-month blood draw, so maybe? they are waiting for the 6-month to do iron and B's?  Or do I have to do what Eggface says and just pay for the tests myself?

catwoman7
on 12/1/16 8:08 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I know with me they did the whole shebang at a year out - and they'll probably do those every year from here on out.  I don't think they tested everything at the three-month mark for me.   They did several, but not all.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

catwoman7
on 12/1/16 8:11 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I just checked.  They did the B's and B12 every time with me (even at three months out).  But they didn't start checking my iron until I was six months out (and again at a year)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

selhard
on 12/2/16 7:48 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Technical stuff like lab results are hard to answer and maybe best making a special trip to find out from someone within your medical team.  However, some people refer to vitalady.com.  If you do a search here, PoetKelly is one name that comes to mind as answering quite a few lab questions.  Answers have never stuck well enough for me to remember let alone repeat.  Well, maybe this one...re your "bit anemic," it was suggested to never donate blood after WLS due to the risk iron levels tanking too easily.  

NHPOD9
on 12/2/16 10:45 pm

Labtestsonline.org is a great site to use to understand your lab results and about the different blood tests that are available. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views