RNY surgery

heart17090
on 1/10/17 3:05 pm

I am interested in having the RNY surgery and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions they can give me besides what my dr.'s have already given me. Any tips? Anything I can expect before and after the surgery?

MsKitty12345
on 1/10/17 5:40 pm
RNY on 12/05/16

Make sure you do your research and understand this is a lifelong commitment.  It will also be the biggest emotional roller coaster of your life.  You will have to learn your body's signals all over again and be prepared that the weight loss will take time.  

MsKitty...

NasaJen
on 1/10/17 7:31 pm
RNY on 12/09/16

Definitely be prepared to feel "full" in a different area of your body than you are use to.  Also, start getting into the habit of taking all the daily vitamins...

LapBand: 3.2.10

RNY: 12.9.16

Highest: 451

Morning of RNY: 283

Current: 195

heart17090
on 1/11/17 6:18 am

Thanks. I just went through my fourth month and found out that my vitamin d level is low. The Dr. has me taking 50,000 units of that twice a week for 12 weeks. So that is going to set me back a little bit. I hope it doesn't set me back to much. I have lost 12 lbs since starting this journey and for me, to loose any weight is positive. I have an inactive thyroid and PCOS so I have to work extremely hard to loose weight. The turning point for me came when I was at a routine dr. apt. and the scale said I weighed over 400lbs. I went home and cried. I never thought I would weight that ever in my life. So now I am doing something I should have done a long time ago.

robinreinhardt
on 1/11/17 10:27 am

For me, it was the best decision of my life. Do your homework ahead of time and you will be better prepared. It's just a tool and believe me now that I'm in maintenance it's tough. I still want the things that caused my to be morbidly obese. 

Good luck and you've come to the right place here at OH.

R

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/17 12:04 pm

My D was low too.  They have me taking the 50,000 once a week and 2000 over the counter on the other days of the week.  Seems to be working.

Be prepared for the pre-surgery diet.  It's not fun.  It is vital to follow all of the rules and not rush the "steps."  

There is much to adjust to with foods you can't have, the way you sip water, vitamin regimen, the constant chewing, the abundance of protein, the 30 minute wait from food to liquid, ALL of the rules!  BUT LET ME TELL YOU, the benefits are amazing!

Stay with the program.  Don't test what you can/can't cheat on and you'll be great!!!

Good Luck!  You'll be great!

Jeff

Shellie76567
on 1/12/17 4:28 pm
RNY on 06/29/16

So proud of you for making a decision to be pro-active. I had RNY on June 29, 2016 and it was the best thing I've ever done. I've hit plateaus like with any of my previous weight loss attempts but I stick with it and it always pays off. Everyone is different but I've went from 339 to 228 since I started the journey in February of 2016. I lost approximately 25 prior to surgery and about 86 since surgery. It's a huge life change. Food can no longer be my comfort and that has been an adjustment but it is all worth it

heart17090
on 1/13/17 2:29 pm

I think the hard part for me is going to be my job. I work for a help desk doing computer repairs all day. So I don't move much all day. So that is going to be a challenge for me. I might have to start pacing while I am on a call. If anyone has any tips for this I am all ears.