Mind/Body Preparing Itself?

AmandaB9780
on 2/22/17 2:01 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

So I'm curious if anyone else has ever experienced anything similar... hoping so, otherwise, I'm plum crazy!

For the last few weeks or so, I've been kind of saying goodbye to some foods/restaurants that I have a feeling I won't be seeing much of post-op (P.F. Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden, my husband's spaghetti, chop suey, sweet & sour chicken, etc.) I'm not over indulging by any means. I've always been one to immediately box half my meal before starting or set it off to the side in order to do so. The problem is, most everything tastes "funny" - like I've got a cold or something. I haven't had coffee in a week because every cup I make tastes like smoke or dirt. I'm not doing anything different to it either.

So has anyone else ever experienced something like this? Where you mind, in an effort to prepare you, seems to change the way EVERYTHING tastes?

Or am I just crazy?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/22/17 3:13 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Many of us call them Food Funerals.  It's a term for the frenzied eating with the belief you will never be able to have those things again.  If you aren't over indulging -- that's wonderful.  Most of us do.  

Not sure about the "funny taste" -- perhaps you are actually getting a cold or something?  Did you start new vitamins?  

That's not something I experienced or recall hearing commonly PRE-op.  I guess I'd consider it to my advantage if it's helping you.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

AmandaB9780
on 2/23/17 5:14 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Food Funerals! That's awesome!

I am just now recovering from the flu, but the taste thing started like a month ago. So maybe it was because the flu virus was already in me and I just didn't know it. I do kind of consider it good mental preparedness. 

M. P.
on 2/22/17 5:04 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

It is funny that you posted this. I FINALLY got my date for surgery (March 7th!) earlier this week. It has been a long process getting ready for surgery due to family hiccups over the past couple years that derailed me a couple times along the way. Anyway, ever since being approved various friends and family have asked to take me out for a farewell to all the bad foods. Everyone keeps asking me what I want to eat, and honestly- nothing sounds good. It all kind of just seems yucky and unappealing. Over the last couple of months I have given up up caffeine, carbonated drinks, coffee (the HARDEST of them ALL), fast food, and started exercising everyday all in preparation for surgery. I don't know if these changes are what are making things unappealing or just the mental/emotional changes that are starting to take root. Either way, I am embracing it.

AmandaB9780
on 2/23/17 5:09 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Congrats on your surgery date! I will think of you that day as I'm going in myself!

That's exactly how it's been! NOTHING sounds appealing, even before eating it. The only logical reason I can come up with (and I quite literally just came up with it) is that because I have a hiatal hernia and everything I eat ends up trying to come back up, that my body has lost it's appetite for eating period. Because truth be told, I haven't been that hungry.

I'm not complaining, well, maybe a little - really wanted to actually enjoy some of these things, but that's not really happening. I will however use it to my advantage!

Yeah, really NOT looking forward to kicking my coffee habit. My grocery store just remodeled and added a Starbucks, so it would've been like going to Target, but for things that my household actually needs. lol. 

Amy Liz
on 2/22/17 6:26 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

I did that in the months before my surgery. Things didn't taste funny, just not as good as I remembered and I was able to let go of all of it. My last meal was amazing though - Rib eye and it was perfect. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to eat rib-eye successfully post op, yet...

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

AmandaB9780
on 2/23/17 5:11 am
RNY on 03/07/17

I was thinking about steak yesterday. My husband makes the best steak so I'm thinking that rain or shine, he will be grilling Sunday as I start my OptiFast on Monday. A friend's daughter had RNY and she said the same thing, she hasn't been able to eat steak post-op (without trouble at least) and I think her surgery was years ago. 

Amy Liz
on 2/23/17 5:47 am
RNY on 11/21/16

I highly recommend it! I asked the nurse at my center what her last meal would be and she said hands down, steak. From all of her patients she hears it's the one thing they had the hardest time with post op. I'm glad I took her advise, I savored every bite. I've tried it once since surgery and it made me feel sick. I'll wait a few months and try again. Good luck with your surgery!!

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

crocodoxie
on 2/24/17 6:16 am
RNY on 08/01/17

Hi, new here, but also in the prep stage. My insurance wants me to have 6 appts with Nutritionist, so I'm using that time to slowly ween out things and say good-bye. I kicked an obsessive Diet Coke habit last week, but this time it feels different than the last time i kicked it. I felt at peace, because I knew my future depended on it. I'm looking at probably August, so every two weeks or so, I'm trying to make a change that will help me later. Portion control is another I'm focusing on prior. Learning to eat less and be satisfied, so I'm not cold turkey and in a panic/mentally. I'm turning 50 this year, and feel like maturity wise, I'm at a good place to deal with this. I'm glad I waited (tried a while back, and some things came up) - because I'm very peaceful about it all. 

AmandaB9780
on 2/24/17 7:51 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Oh, I'm very at peace with saying goodbye to whatever I need to say goodbye to. There are certain things that I just have a feeling that I will NEVER be eating again, so it's been like a nice farewell party. The funny thing about me having surgery isn't really that I ever had a huge issue with food. I had no trouble staying away from certain foods. There were some that were a little harder. My problem started when I developed first Psoriatic Arthritis and then Osteoarthritis in my spine. That stopped me from being able to exercise and actually stopped me from doing a lot of everyday things (sweeping, vacuuming, laundry, dishes, etc.) It made it impossible to sit or stand for long periods of time. So I'm not worried about "going cold turkey" with eating less, but I am aware that there are some things that I simply won't ever eat again. Not the end of the world though. ;-)

I think it's great that you're doing everything that you're doing, because you're right, for a lot of people it will feel like going cold-turkey, I'm sure. I know a couple who have taken this journey only to keep doing what they were doing and basically ended up pretty close to where they started. So again, every step that you're taking is definitely worth while. 

Where in the process are you? I know every program and insurance requirements are different...

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views