removal of lap band revison to bypass and hiatil hernia repair

Ashley in Belgium
on 5/29/17 12:12 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Had band to bypass revision with Hiatial hernia repair in August of 2013. I love my upgrade to RNY and it has cured all of my acid reflux, GERD issues caused by both the hernia and the LapBand. I am comfortably below goal for the past three years and can't recommend revision enough.

I had the removal and repair at the same time as my bypass, but I found the surgery and recovery to be quite easy considering and was back to 100% by 5-6 weeks out. Hope you have a great experience! Good luck.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Queen JB
on 5/30/17 5:58 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I had my revision from band to bypass and hernia repair all done at the same time. I thought the recovery was pretty easy, given how intense all that was! I took off the maximum amount of time that insurance would allow (4 weeks) but honestly, I probably could have gone back after 2 weeks, if I had a desk job.

I also developed severed GERD with the band. It is much much much much better, but I cannot say it is completely gone. I still take a PPI x2/day and I am resigned to thinking I probably always will.

How come you have to wait 6 weeks? I was told I would have to wait for a VSG because they use the same part of the pouch for the band and VSG so it needed to heal, but they were able to do my bypass on the same day.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

OneBlueSock
on 5/30/17 6:38 am
RNY on 06/21/17

I had a lap-band put in September 2006, and it was just removed this past March after developing horrible horrible GERD. The initial plan to was to remove and revise at the same time but I had a LOT of scar tissue and my band was very stubborn about coming out, after 2 hours of tugging and cutting and pulling my surgeon was able to remove it and opted to let me heal up for 3 months before doing the revision. The healing wasn't too bad, worst part was the staples they used for the port incision...and it's ugly, but I'm happy to have it out!

I'm scheduled for June 21 and I'm very excited....the reflux is not as bad as it was but I still get it and still take Prilosec for it, and weirdly when I roll over onto my left side for sleeping I always burp (seriously how weird is that?!).

back when I had my band done I was told that I had a hiatal hernia and that they repaired it then but I honestly don't know the specifics of what they did. I know my mother has had something called a Nissen fundoplication to repair hers (she did not have WLS) which involved stitching the stomach around the esophagus to keep it from moving. Really your surgeon will be the best one to answer the specifics of how they plan to actually do it. I hope it goes smoothly for you, keep us updated on your progress!

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

Most Active
Recent Topics