OK, getting a little freaked out.... Revision due to GERD to RNY

babsinga
on 6/21/17 12:11 pm
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi Everyone,

My surgery is schedule for July 11th. I started with a Lapband in 2003. Lost 154 pounds with the band and developed complications and a prolapsed band. My doctor removed the band and sleeved me in 2008 and I lost another 72 pounds. I have developed major GERD and some regain due to poor eating, lack of restriction, meds, menopause etc.

I was told the only way to get rid of the reflux and lose what I have gained or at least maintain my losses is the gastric bypass. All along for the last 15 years, I have been avoiding this decision. Malabsorption is something that scares me and of course another surgery.

What I fear most is looking vitamin deprived or sickly from malabsorption. That is my primary concern. Just looking for reassurance about this. IF you could be specific about your vitamin regime and energy levels that would be appreciated.

Babsin GA

Emiepie
on 6/21/17 1:03 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Good afternoon, sorry to hear you have had some complications. For me, energy has not been an issue but I do take my vitamins like it's my job. But, honestly after almost 3 years I don't really have to think too much about taking them it's just part of my day/routine. I will attach a pic of what my surgeon recommends for vitamins. I know there are several regulars to this forum that are revisions so they might be able to help give you some feedback on that part. Best of luck to you.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

babsinga
on 6/21/17 1:19 pm
RNY on 07/11/17

Thanks for your response. Its not taking vitamins or supplements that concerns me more than fatigue issues from malabsorption and lack of vitamins.

Emiepie
on 6/21/17 1:33 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I can only speak for myself of course, but I have much more energy now than I did pre-op and I get less sleep (I used to sleep 10 hours sometimes and not feel rested but I had mild sleep apnea which went away after surgery so I think that was some of the problem).

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

stacyrg
on 6/21/17 2:26 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I am a sleeve to RNY conversion. My surgeon requires the same vitamins for his sleeve patients as his RNY patients. He recently approved the patch for me (after a 3 month trial period and labs that stayed the same or increased in absorption. I use/take:

Multi patch

Calcium D3 patch

Iron patch

B-12 sublingual.

Prior to switching to the patch I was taking:

2 multi (centrum with iron)

1500mg calcium/D3 (citrical petite)

Iron (1 pill every night)

B-12 sublingual, 1 a day.

While malabsorption is always a concern, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it if you're diligent with your supplements. I am and my labs are excellent. As far as energy levels, I don't notice a difference in levels between my sleeve and RNY. I work full time (typically 10 hours a day) go to the gym and live my life.

Good luck on your surgery.

White Dove
on 6/22/17 6:16 am, edited 6/21/17 11:17 pm - Warren, OH

You will not be vitamin deprived from absorption. That will only happen if you don't take your vitamins. You may get too skinny but being 20 or 30 pounds under goal I s a good cushion for when the m absorption ends.

I looked very skinny for about a year but that was gone during year three.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

babsinga
on 6/22/17 6:39 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Thanks for the feedback.

Eggface
on 6/24/17 4:23 am - Sunny Southern, CA

11 years out... 4 days ago... and all is well :)

I take vitamins religiously and eat a very diverse nutrient rich diet but yearly labs are imperative. My iron dipped once, a few years back and required iron infusions, sounds dramatic but really it's just a drip bag www.injectafer.com 30 minutes, 2 x a week, I did 2 rounds and I've been in the black again for more than 2 years. So yes despite doing all the right things you can have issues but the benefits FAR FAR outweigh them (at least for me) Off all prescriptions. Dangerously High Blood Pressure resolved. Sleep Apnea resolved (my Dad died at 67 heart/sleep apnea related) and GERD was resolved the day of surgery

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

GmaDiana
on 6/25/17 9:20 am

I am 7 months out from my revision from sleeve to bypass.Had blood work done and I was low in Zinc.Take a supplement now.Have to be on good vitamin and mineral supplements for life.Hope this helps.

Jessiegirlie
on 7/1/17 6:07 pm
Revision on 07/03/17

HI Barbara B.

My surgery is Monday, July 3, and I am also freaked out! It's #3 as well due to GERD.

I am SO much more nervous this time! I think because I have ALWAYS been afraid of bypass.

I didn't do it in 2010 because my family and best friend talked me out of it because of the risks. I listened to them, but now I wish I would have gone ahead with it back then. I wouldn't be dealing with the risks of #3 if I would have done it in the first place.

If all goes smoothly on Monday, I should be back home on the 10th when you have your surgery. Prayers and good luck to you on the 10th!

Jessiegirlie

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?