People Suck!

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/17 8:47 pm

If I had a dollar for everyone who told me that they have a friend-relative-sister who lost tons of weight with WLS (they lump them all together) only to gain it all back, I'd be rich. It's like telling someone who has cancer "I know 12 people who had cancer. They all died!"

How many of you have gained back a serious amount of the weight you lost with RNY? Why? Do you know people who have gained it all back? Why? Tell me your experiences!

I'm well below my target now and I'm never going back!

birdiegirl
on 6/22/17 10:39 pm

It's easy to feel like you do at 8 Months out. The really tough work BEGINS past year 3.

Your post comes across to me as self righteous. Just be careful, as thinking you're invincible can lead to trouble down the road.

Feeling like you know it all can lead to mistakes down the road. I know, because I too thought I was pretty smart . Invincible.

I truly hope you never have regain. I'm also "never going back ", however I've still had some trips back there due to my own hubris.

peachpie
on 6/23/17 1:40 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Yes!! Every thing birdiegirl said! I'm in year 3 and am seeing first hand how different things are. At 8 just months- you really haven't a clue.

IMO the best way to avoid the negative Nancy's is to not tell them. Just live your life.

And my experiences: step mother-in-law, had RNY, gained a lot (not all) weight back and is MO again; sister had VSG, never lost to goal and gained all her weight back by year 3. Niece/cousin had lap band, both lost to goal, both have gained more than 1/2 their weight back at more than 4 years out. My nephew's ex-girlfriend's sister died post op.

Only successful people I know are on this site, daily.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/17 8:40 am

When you really get into it, it seems that Lap band and VSG have a lower success rate.

I guess the moral to your story is to hang out here more :)

That's terrible about dying post surgery!

peachpie
on 6/23/17 9:15 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'd say lower success with Lap band for sure- but I think VSG has potential to be equally as successful as RNY. Its all about how you work it once you have it.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/23/17 5:44 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

The lapband I think definitely has a lower success rate, & the rny has an edge over the vsg in the beginning, but years down the road they kinda even out.

I had the vsg & have kept most of my weight off. I'm only 3 years out but still mostly do the same things that got the weight off to begin with.

My tool still works as long as I continue to work it right.

Sure there are negative nellies out there, always will be. Ignore them & continue to work your tool. Then they can talk about the people who've kept the weight off rather than the ones who gain it all back & then some.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

capablek8
on 6/28/17 10:18 am

I'm sorry to ask but did your nephew's ex-girlfriend die due to complications with the surgery or from an outside cir****tance?

peachpie
on 6/28/17 11:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

She bled out internally shortly after discharge. That's as much as I know.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/23/17 3:00 am

In my 2nd year I had a very hard time to eat enough to not to lose more weight. I had to work very hard on that.

Year 3 and 4 I paid big price for that. 35 lbs rapid regain, just doing what I was doing in year 2 ....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/17 8:37 am

Invincible? Not even close :) If I felt like that, I wouldn't have made the post.

Insecure, maybe! I do understand that it will include a lifetime of work. I just want to hear more positive. The successes motivate me.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 430 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views