Protein absorbtion, sliders, drinking with food...

HonestOmnivore
on 7/21/17 9:42 am
RNY on 03/29/17

Thanks Grim, this helps a lot.

I had my 3 mo check-up today and the NUT basically said the same thing. Well chewed protein will be absorbed in the intestines, other types of nutrients can need more time to break down.

The primary purpose of the liquid ban is to keep the full feeling longer which prevents over eating due to discomfort.

I am so relieved that I can count the protein in my RTD can! I'm also happy because I'm so freaking thirsty that being able to DRINK AND get protein after my run is a huge blessing!

So far, at only 3 mo out, I rarely have feelings of actual physical hunger, but yeah, the full feeling of solid food makes it miserable to eat more!

So. Much. To. Learn!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

HonestOmnivore
on 8/1/17 11:35 am
RNY on 03/29/17

Grim-

I want to thank you for taking the time to respond to this because it's been such a struggle for me to get my liquids in. The sensation I get after I drink 3 or 4 oz. is a backwash "full stop" and even though I know it is going in the top and out the bottom it feels like my pouch if FULL. I end up setting down the bottle of water and not getting back to it for maybe an hour. I have yet to make my 64 oz. minimum. I mean that literally not one time in the past four months have I gotten it in, even counting yogurt, jello, and watermelon.

Now that I know that the purpose is to keep the "full" feeling, and that I'll still get my desperately needed protein even if it isn't sitting in my pouch all dry and alone for an hour, I'm doing SO MUCH BETTER!!! At work, where there is no wild food available for hunting and gathering, I'm able to go "empty pouch" without grazing or otherwise making bad choices. I'm now drinking my liquids (water/flavored water/protein drinks) when ever I remember to do it, not worrying about up coming lunch or afternoon snack etc... I had been setting the timer on my watch for 30 minutes before I would eat, and then again after a meal was finished and the windows between these times just slipped by without significant intake.

I know I may not be able to do this as my "real" empty pouch sensation returns and I begin to feel hungry but for now it's been a GOD SEND to be able to significantly increase my fluids.

Another example of a major improvement is my evening snack, which generally is a little something like SF jello (3 oz of water!) that feels good to eat. Now that I know it isn't going to do any damage I'm adding a pint of water to my bedtime routine right after the jello snack, which I'm drinking before I actually lay down in bed. Prior I had that thirty minute interlude blocked out and once it was past I was laying down or actually asleep.

Here is yesterday's liquid intake:

B- Coffee 12. oz on the way to work knowing I'd be eating 5.3 oz of yogurt possibly within that 30 minute window.

MS- skipped it but drank right through (10 oz flavored water x 2)

L- Was still sipping my second 10 oz water when I fished out the tuna package and ate that for lunch.

AS- Refilled my water bottle while washing up after lunch, drank 10 oz before my early afternoon meeting

D- Missed dinner going to the gym, drank 16 oz bottle of water while walking outdoors.

ES- Drank 12 oz protein shake while getting ready for bed. Drank 6 oz of water during the night.

Total liquids not counting the yogurt: 70!!!! I hear angels singing!

Yeah yesterday wasn't a great example of meals being mixed with liquids but was anticipating having my dinner after work and wouldn't have bothered to drink the water while walking (cool down) as I was planning on having protein when I got home (the protein shake). I wouldn't have had the water last night because I would have been worried about 'washing out' the protein shake.

Today I'm already half way to 64 oz of water without really trying! Just drinking when I remember to, and not freaking out about the timing. I'm not drinking WHILE I'm eating but by not being militant about the wait before and after it just allows my poky slow drinking to work so much better.

Anyway - I was thinking thankful thoughts about you and thought I'd share.

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 251 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 322 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics