Pre-op class in the morning. Getting Anxious and SOOOO excited...

Casey A.
on 9/12/17 4:11 pm
RNY on 09/27/17

I have a 2 hour pre-op class in the morning, not sure exactly what to expect from it. I'm assuming I'll learn all about my post-op diet, but we'll see.

But I'm getting so anxious now. When my surgery was scheduled for over a month away(when I got the call), I was so depressed. I thought time would literally crawl. Well, let me tell you. I blinked and it's now 2 weeks away. I can not wait.....

I do have a question though: When I got THE call over 2 weeks ago, had my surgery date in hand, all the pre-op testing dates and even a date for my 1 week post-op with the surgeon. After learning that I had over a month to wait and after the struggle I had to lose my 10% requirement. I kinda said to myself "screw it". I've not been following my "rules". I have 1 more week before I have to start my 1 week pre-op liquid diet. Should I be worried? I am trying to get myself on track but now my thinking is "why not eat/drink this now, 1 more week and I won't be able to anymore" basically "get it while I can". But my question is: Should I be worried? What was experience in the weeks before surgery?

HW: 357.2 SW: 333 5'2" Age:45

pre-op: 24.2 M1: 24.8 M2: 15

peachpie
on 9/12/17 4:39 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

You're referring to food funerals. I had them- and don't regret them. The foods I 'eulogized' I haven't had since surgery in the same combination/quantity. But I'm not saying they are a good idea either.

Reality is you will be able to eat almost everything again. So for most-- it's not good bye, it's good bye for now, or good bye excess. You know your triggers foods- they'll likely be the same post op.

You need to start following the rules- adapting now as a way of life will make post-op life a tad bit easier.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

dorothy1110
on 9/12/17 8:13 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

I actually did not have food funerals. I had stopped eating bad months in advance. I keep a food journal of what I ate. I started 2 premier protein shakes moths in advance to get me ready. I would say start following the program and eat the right foods and had protein shakes instead of maybe breakfast and lunch. I ate a healthy dinner. Also have healthy snacks between meals like light yogurts, low fat cottage cheese, and unsweet apple sauce. If your worried about if you lost the weight or not see if okay to start a diet early like 3 protein drinks and healthy snacks. Don't say Screw it, because if you don't loose the weight they will have to reschedule surgery. I had my surgery last Wednesday and on a Clear liquid diet myself. Good Luck you can do anything you set your mind to.

ScottAndrews
on 9/13/17 4:43 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

One of the reasons you're asked to lose weight is because right now your liver is likely a fatty mess. Now in order to do the surgery they need to lift your liver up using a retractor The lighter the liver, the less likely it gets damaged being propped up for a couple of hours.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 445 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views