Realistic Weight loss and dress sizes by May/June

Lipster101
on 3/21/18 6:00 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Good Morning Everyone..Today am 5 weeks out, and getting better, and infection is pretty much healed, although still somewhat uncomfortable. Serious weight loss question, and I know we're all different, and every weight loss is unique and exciting. Got brave today after Dr visit on Monday, and now my loss is 30 lbs. I'm excited and this brings me to incentive. My son is getting married in early June. I bought this beautiful gown a few months ago, before my surgery, 2/3 sizes smaller than I was because it was perfect, color, style, fabric, and on sale, like giving it away. For those who are shoppers, I know you feel my rush. Anyway, that's my short term, goal, to wear this dress (and yes, I swear I'll take pics).

Do you think it's realistic or setting myself up? One of my biggest incentives is wanting to look in wedding pics (2 kids in 2 years). I don't want to shy away or cringe when I see an unflattering pic, and I want to look as happy as I really am. It's also very difficult when the entire family is tall, thin or just slightly overweight, and I don't want to shine more than our bride, but I want to glow..So, should I start looking for a back up dress, and yes, it's a formal affair.

Honesty, but no brutality, please and thank you!

babsinga
on 3/21/18 6:29 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi,

I think goals are important but not knowing the weight you started and how much you have to lose makes it impossible for anyone (including you) to predict what you will weigh in a few months. As you know you can always have a dress altered if too big but you cant really do anything if it is too tight. I would have a back up or wait til last minute to see if you fit the one you bought.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

Dcgirl
on 3/21/18 6:42 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Yep, totally depends on a few things:

What was your starting weight and what is your goal weight?

How much did you lose pre-op as it seems people who lost a ton before surgery then lose at a slightly slower rate since they have less to lose.

What is your age?

What is your activity level?

Are you following your nut's plan or what you read on here or your own plan? Some plans have oatmeal, whole grain toast, mashed potatoes, applesauce and other whole grains. I personally opted to eat low carb (less than 30g of carbs a day****il I reached goal. I actually lost 100 lbs in 4 months and 4 days and went from 351 to 160 a week shy of a year later. I did that by eating high protein/low carb, keeping calories low per what I read on here, tracking every single bite, and exercising but not eating back those calories. Anything is possible but it depends on how you work your tool!

The good news is, you can likely wait until May when you have a better idea of your June size and find a gorgeous dress at Nordstrom Rack or even Marshalls or TJ Maxx for a formal event. How exciting that your son is getting married :)

Lipster101
on 3/21/18 9:48 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Wow, I love hearing these amazing stories. I didn't lose a ton of weight before surgery and was actually gaining rapidly since they removed my band and kept me trying on my own. OMG, it was so good to eat food and not be sick, and I tried to eat everything I wanted before I couldn't again. Luckily, I am not getting sick, but I am so not so hungry, and next week am returning to work, so although not running and exercising, not just pacing and walking the house.

I'm in my mid 50's and have been taking this time to reflect on being a better and the best me..It's amazing how not only do you shed weight, but people, negativity and gain self respect..Yes, my policeman is getting married and next year my baby girl and have our first wedding dress appt this weekend.

Dcgirl
on 3/21/18 10:00 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Whether or not you're hungry, make sure to get in tons of fluids a day, ok? I know some people tolerate warm drinks, others like freezing cold...some hate the taste of water right after surgery and have to add Crystal Light, others swear by decaf tea...whatever works for you, drink, drink, drink. You don't want to be dehydrated, and I think averaging 100 oz of liquids a day really helped me all through the weight loss phase. I use a 32 oz camelback bottle to this day (more than four years out) and I still strive to drink 3 a day though sometimes I only drink 2 1/2 which is still almost 80 oz of water.

At five weeks out, are you cleared for all food? At that time, I was 99% protein. Hard boiled eggs, or egg salad, tuna salad, cottage cheese, Light and Fit Greek yogurt, soft flaky fish, chicken sausages from Trader Joes, and MOIST ground turkey with mexican seasoning or italian seasoning and a smidge of sauce. My pouch didn't love food first thing in the morning so for a good year and a half, I had a Chike high protein iced coffee protein shake (from amazon) which was 20 grams of protein. Your goal should be 60g a day but try to do more if you can. It will help your body heal. Some people like to add a side of vegetable but I mean, I could fit in like one bite of broccoli with my protein so it often wasn't worth cooking it.

I used a food scale from amazon and was measuring out 2 oz of protein for each meal, and eventually went up to 3 oz and then finally 4 oz of dense protein.

Logging my food in MyFitnessPal helped me to plan and see trends and stay on track. I would do it the night before. So I would log in my meals and that would help me determine if my food plan was good. If I logged what I was planning for the entire day and saw that I was short on protein but high on calories, I would swap out a yogurt and have deli turkey instead, for example.

A good rule of thumb is to have 10 g of protein per 100 calories. I have seen that on this site more than once.

Good luck on this amazing journey!!!

Lipster101
on 3/21/18 11:21 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Thank you..I am cleared and luckily usually don't have trouble with food, and sometimes I force myself to eat a little something. I always used to laugh at people when they said, they forgot to eat, lol. I drink a lot of hot tea. I am finding I tolerate hot way more than cold, except those fat free ices I allow myself to munch on at night. and after my morning coffee or tea start right on propel or crystal light.

I try to bake vegetables and everyday try to eat a small portion of something real, whether yogurt, chicken, meat and I even had shrimp. I think it will be easier and yet harder when I go back to work and on a schedule.

Glad to have you on my journey, Thank You

peachpie
on 3/21/18 6:51 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Sometimes honesty is brutal. (Not my intent- just throwing it out there) Was it a reasonable thought to buy it while on sale anticipating being 2-3 sizes smaller--absolutely! But you may not like the way you look in it- if it fits. (And by that I mean it could be too big or too small) You don't know (and we can't tell you) what shape you will take on with your weight loss. Fit doesn't always equal flattering.

I bought a business suit at thrift store early after my surgery.its the size I am now- but I still haven't found reason to wear it- and the color really limits when I cam wear it (spring-summer). It's like having a $20 bill hanging in the closet I can't spend.

I'd wait till a month to before the wedding- try it on and then shop from there as needed.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

babsinga
on 3/21/18 6:56 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Amen!!

I have clothese in my closet from the last time I was at the weight I am now but with menopause, being in my 50's vs 40's and the whole body shape change, nothing fits me like it did when I wore it a decade ago.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

Lipster101
on 3/21/18 8:14 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Thank You and Agree..I tried this dress on a few weeks ago, and was psyched, meanwhile, it has been taking residency outside my closet door in spare room, so I can see it when I walk into that room. I did return a few others that I thought it would be flattering, they weren't, lol. I did make other appointments to check out dresses for special occasions while shopping wedding dresses for my girl (next summer's wedding).

I am still going to post pics because no matter what I lose, I'll be less than I am now, and grateful to be sharing my son's big day, a blessing with friends and loved ones!

Lipster101
on 3/21/18 8:53 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I appreciate honesty, and yes sometimes it's brutal, but yours is not unkind. Oh, but this is so perfect..however, I did make some appointments at bridal salons for the next few weeks so that I have a better judge and can include alterations. This is my son's formal wedding, and want to look good and mostly appropriate. I'm glad that some others think it was reasonable, and have done similar things. I do have an engagement in October as well. I am blessed!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 489 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 338 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 100 views
Recent Topics