Recurrent Strictures -- Oh, no!!

LuckyLoser
on 10/17/18 12:55 am, edited 10/17/18 12:56 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Hi everyone:

I am almost 2 months post-RNY (8/20/18). I have had nausea since post-op day 1 for different reasons. I have not been able to successfully transition to solid proteins, although my nutritionist "advanced" me to a diet with all types of food at my appointment yesterday.

I hit a bump in the road about 4 weeks post-op when I developed vomiting with the nausea at the time I was to start solid foods. I had EGD at 5 weeks when my surgeon dilated a very severe stricture with associated inflammation.

Unfortunately, the nausea persisted. We tried all kinds of solutions that seemed to work a little bit. I'm a little nervous, though, because the vomiting returned with the nausea yesterday when I tried eating some ground turkey.

I searched this Forum and found some information about recurrent strictures. One person reported that she had to have her stricture dilated 5 times!

However, I couldn't find the answers to all of my questions. Does anyone know if a stricture can re-form only 3 weeks after dilation?

When I saw my bariatric medical provider yesterday, she was concerned that my stricture may have recurred. She also said that they usually have to wait 6 weeks before they do another EGD and dilation. I didn't think to ask her why. Does anyone know why? I guess I'm concerned that if the nausea and vomiting accelerate, it will be awhile before I can have another EGD and dilation if the stricture re-formed

I'm hoping that yesterday's episode was just a fluke and that it won't happen again. I think I will stick with high-protein liquids and Greek yogurt for now to let my pouch chill out.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them!

Height: 5'2" Starting Weight: 260

Surgery Weight: 232 Goal Weight: 140

Current Weight: 179

"Fall down seven times and get up eight."

bethmal
on 10/17/18 3:24 am
RNY on 12/26/17

I personally don't have experience with this but my husband did. We had surgery on the same day. He was unable to progress onto solid foods because it would make him sick. Our surgeon had to dilate him 3 or 4 times within a few months before he was able to eat solid foods. He survived on protein shakes, soup, and greek yogurt. I don't think this will help you but this was his experience.

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

LuckyLoser
on 10/17/18 4:06 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Thanks, bethmal, for the information about your husband's problem with strictures.

I find it helpful when I hear that someone else has experienced something that I am going through, especially when I hear that the person got past the issue. It's good to know that recurrent strictures do occur and that there is "light at the end of the tunnel."

My doctor may tell me that strictures recur in a certain percentage of people who undergo RNY. But, it seems more "real," for lack of a better word, when I hear about actual people who have had recurrent strictures and had them resolve. It's also a relief to know that someday soon I may be able to eat solids and a greater variety of food.

Thanks, bethmal, for taking the time to let me know!

selhard
on 10/17/18 3:58 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

If it helps any to know, a WLS support group member talks about having three strictures within a short period of time after surgery but he did not mention how many weeks between dilations. I am jealous he also reports strong pouch restriction ten years out. Cheering you on to hardly ever let a water bottle leave your hand during the healing weeks.

LuckyLoser
on 10/18/18 4:42 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Thanks for the cheering. There may be a silver lining to this cloud if this means I will have longer-term restriction!

catwoman7
on 10/17/18 8:34 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I had one at four weeks out and another at eight weeks out. They stopped after that, though.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

LuckyLoser
on 10/18/18 4:43 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

I'm sorry you struggled in your early course after RNY, but I"m glad it was only twice! That's encouraging news for me!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/17/18 10:34 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

From people posting here, it seems like most strictures need 2 or 3 dilations before the opening stays clear.

Think about it. I'd rather the surgeon be a little conservative, and need to do another dilation, than have them try to crank it wide open on one try.

Before you know it, you'll barely remember this.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

LuckyLoser
on 10/18/18 4:44 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Thanks. I'm hoping my amnesia sets in soon!!

Amy R.
on 10/18/18 5:13 am

I'm so sorry to see you are dealing with all of this so early out. Especially the nausea. Have they tried any meds for it yet? I take Zofran for cyclic nausea and it is the only thing that helps. At only five weeks out that not be an option for you, but it might be worth asking about.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views