Anyone else have more medical problems after surgery?

Kaptsbaby
on 4/16/22 7:22 am

I'm hoping that by rejoining this community I can get some help and knowledge oh, is there anybody else that is had more medical issues after surgery? I was a severe diabetic which took me to the surgery room. I was a very happy fat person and was not happy about my choice of having surgery cuz I did not have one. It was either have the surgery or no longer be here for my husband and child. So I try to thank God everyday that I open my eyes that I'm still here, and that I have friends that care, and people in communities like this one they can maybe give me some hindsight on how to push through this. I had surgery almost 20 years ago, I am 52 years old and feel like I'm 90 most the time. Any suggestions? Any help would be a really appreciate it!

Kaptsbaby

catwoman7
on 4/16/22 8:44 am
RNY on 06/03/15

what kinds of problems are you having? Surgical techniques have changed a bit in the last 20 years - for example, "candy cane syndrome" used to be potential complication of RNY, but you almost never hear of that anymore since they do the surgeries differently now.

also, are you pretty sure these issues are related to your surgery, or could there be something else going on?

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Kaptsbaby
on 4/16/22 10:07 am

I was blessed by the surgery to walk in severely diabetic 4 oral medications and two shots a day, to leaving the hospital four days later on no medication for diabetes and sense no diabetic issues from high sugar. But over the last 20 years I had developed a pseudotumor I have Lupus rheumatoid arthritis I had H.S. Which is a skin disease prior to surgery but it has intensified so I carry a major infection all the time I've lost my gallbladder my appendix, complete hysterectomy ,many surgeries for skin removal going back in for abscesses hernia repairs and now my eyes are going due to the psuedotumor. I have malabsorption so the medications and supplements don't stay longer than two and a half hours if I'm lucky and I can't afford to take them the way my body needs some anyways, absorb anything severe anemia that needs iron transfusions that insurance battle with me for the last 20 years they didn't want to pay. Now I have no insurance so I can't even get those and I'm just run down 24/7 I don't sleep can't eat half the time and I'm battling to keep my weight up enough so that the doctors won't put me or try to put me back in the hospital. They have redone the test to make sure there's no leakage has developed in the pouch. It just seems to go on and on. it seems like it never stops and I never had these issues other than the diabetes and the H.S prior to surgery. surgeons and doctors are telling me these are all things from the surgery by not having acid in my body to absorb iron I develop anemia by not having acid to break down my food can't eat a lot of foods which I'm fine with but if I eat more then say half a kids meal it doesn't stay down I have nausea everyday, even with daily nausea medicine.sound like I'm whining and I hate that! So please don't think that's why I joined so I had somebody to whine to. Not looking for sympathy just answers. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Partlypollyanna
on 4/16/22 12:52 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Other than the gallbladder (which is common) and the malabsorption that we all have, it doesn't sound like any of that would be triggered by your RNY.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Kaptsbaby
on 4/16/22 10:10 am

May I ask what is candy cane syndrome? I have never heard that term.

Kaptsbaby

White Dove
on 4/16/22 1:36 pm, edited 4/16/22 6:37 am - Warren, OH

Life is full of trade-offs and getting rid of diabetes is a wonderful one. The Lupus and the arthritis are tough to live with. I am 22 years older than you are. I grew up in the 1950's when fat people were rare and when a happy fat person was probably non-existent. Back then we were taught that over-eating was a sin called gluttony and being fat was something to be very ashamed of.

Fat acceptance and big, beautiful groups did not happen until many years later. Drunkenness was another of the deathly sins we had to avoid. I remember my mother telling me that a person could get drunk, fall asleep in the ditch, get up, go home and clean up their body and drinking and people would never know. But if you overate, the fat would be there for the world to see the next day.

It is a much different world now. And obesity is everywhere and no longer a source of shame or considered sinful. I was 59 having the surgery. I should have had it earlier and it probably would have stopped my diabetes. But should've, would've, could've don't matter and I have to inject insulin and live with kidney damage, eye damage, and low iron. i am still happy to be alive. I work with the doctors, take the iron infusions when needed. I stay busy and enjoy life. My plan is to outlive my enemies.

Now alcoholism and obesity are diseases, not mortal failings.

Make the choice to be happy and grateful for what is good in life. Don't waste your life thinking about the things that are not great. You might be here another 50 years. Enjoy it and find things to keep you busy. Every single person has problems and has to deal with them. Put a smile on your face, do something nice for some person, listen to great music, enjoy the world. Life if what you make of it. Make yours happy and wonderful.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kaptsbaby
on 4/16/22 2:07 pm

My apologies if I offended you or any other buddy else. As I stated in my original message I know what it sounds like whining, or sympathy seeking and not is not my intention of rejoining. But it tends to look that way so I will leave you all today and wish you all well and good health I was hoping to reconnect and realize that maybe there was something out there post-surgery almost 20 years later I didn't need a catechism class or Catholicism lecture if I needed that I would go see the priest. I'm not one of those people that sat and ate myself into diabetes at an early age for the fun of it I'm one of those that grew up in a poor family that didn't have a lot of food most of the time. I was extremely active and had doctors not knowing why I couldn't lose weight. As a teenager battled bulimia and other Eating Disorders because I would go weeks at a time without eating so I don't need to go any further you've already got your mind set on the type of person I was because I said I was a happy fat person. There's nothing anybody here could tell me about deciding to be happy. I am a very blessed person every day that I open my eyes again stated in my first comment. I just would like to know that there's more to life than being stuck by medical professionals looking for a reason why my body is acting like it's 90. So again my apologies if I offended anybody and I will have a moderator remove me from your group thank you to those who did understand where I was trying to say.

Kaptsbaby

White Dove
on 4/16/22 6:18 pm - Warren, OH

Bless your heart

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Partlypollyanna
on 4/17/22 4:29 am
RNY on 02/14/18

That seems like an extreme over reaction. Public interaction sites means you will get a variety of responses; if deciding to "have the moderator remove me" is your reaction to answers you don't like, the internet may not be for you. Good luck finding what you are looking for!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Maddymoe2
on 4/17/22 6:47 am
RNY on 11/22/16

I would suggest reaching out to your doctor and having some bloodwork done.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 303 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views