Running vs. Walking.

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/05 9:13 am - Las Vegas, NV
Ok, this is not a which is better post, Runners already know that It's more of an odd observation... My normal run each day is 9+ miles. My LSD (Long Slow Distance) is 18-22 depending on where I am in my training. I run at 4:30-5:00am, then then carry on with the rest of my day. We often go for walks on weekends or in the evening after work. The walks actually take more out of me than when I run. I mean, its harder to walk a mall, or walk a 4-5 miles on the strip than to do my morning runs. It hurts my knees more, it hurts my feet more. What is different? I typically wear the same shoes, so I am getting the same support. Although, recently I have changed to Nike Free for running, which theoretically have LESS support than the New Balance 991's I wore before (i have about 8 pairs that are 'worn out' for running, but fine for walking). I think it shows that Walking and Running, though similar, are very different creatures. Any thoughts? Tek
MaryS
on 9/7/05 11:00 pm - Long Island, NY
Tek, I think there is definitely a difference in the way we use our muscles when running and walking. I've been doing some reading lately on running and one training technique is run/walk/run. The author was claiming that some people might be able to do longer distances because of the way the muscles are used differently when we walk versus run. It seems to me that you need to get to the mall more - lol! Seriously though, while I am not advanced enough with my running to note the type of comparison you have here, I have noticed that walking at a good pace is easier than the strolling/meandering type of walk you might do at the mall. Good question. Mary 302/197.5/1??
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/05 11:19 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Jeff Galloway? He has a website, and also a seperate forum at www.coolrunning.com. Many runners take exception to Gallowalking (as it is called) as sometimes in a race they suddenly start walking right in front of you. Personally, I think there is some merit to the concept. Tek
Most Active
Recent Topics