Fuel

ncarter11
on 10/11/05 4:36 am - Edmonds, WA
Hey everyone! I'm new to this board and hoping to connect with other runners. I am 1 year post op, below goal, and training for endurance sports. I plan on running a 1/2 marathon at the end of November. Over the winter and spring I will be training for open water swims and Olympic & sprint distance triathlons. Last month I lost 5 lbs. I was a bit surprised as I had reached goal the month before (apparently my body missed the memo.) The month wasn't a shining example of my typical training schedule as I had slacked off a bit so I was caught off guard by the loss. I had slowed way down to just 1-3 lb loss a month. Anyway, as I stumble on towards maintenance I was hoping I could get some input on nutrition and refueling. It's my hope to break even calorie wise on workouts lasting over an hour. How are you fueling? How do you injest carbs? Are you finding it difficult to maintain your weight? My HRM says that I spent about 1000 cals in a 1.5 hours of running! 1000cal?? How can I possibly get that in? Do I need to? I eat about 1100-1500 cals a day, btw. I do not dump, but have not really consumed much of any one thing that might cause me to. Anyone talked to a nutritionist about this? Any input and encouragement is GREATLY appreciated. Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/05 7:41 am - Las Vegas, NV
Congratulations on your 1/2 in November. Which one? So much of this stuff is trial and error to find out what works best for you. 1000 calories for 1.5 hours of running is not way out of line. I tend to lose a few pounds on weekends, as I tend to run more and eat less. My stomach doesn't cope well with food after a run, and the longer the run the longer I need to wait to eat solid food. So, weekends I usually run a significant calorie defecit. I can usually get the pounds back by the end of the week (friday). When I am in a taper (as now), I have to be careful not to let the pounds pile up too much. Before my run (usually at 4:30am) I drink a liter of ice tea & gatorade mixed (I sorta use the Gatorade as the lemon flavor in the tea). I usually also drink a liter of water in addition. I have found if I eat, or drink a protein drink, I feel sluggish during the run. Also, if I eat I will get sick during the run. On runs of about an hour or less, I don't worry about fluids or carbs. Two hours and less, I will usually bring about a liter of water and drink about 3-4 ounces every couple miles. Over 2 hours I usually bring 1.5 liter of gatorade and drink 3-4 ounces every couple miles, refilling at a convenience store if I need to. During summer, I drink more of everything. For recovery usually have a yogurt. Sometimes a protein drink. Carbs and protein are important for recovery and muscle repair in the first 90-120 minutes after a run. I do yogurt because anything more solid tends to make me sick that soon after a run, particularly a long run. During marathons, I do Gu (or comparable) at about mile 20 and, after a big screw-up by not doing so at the Huntington Beach marathon in February, I drink 3-4 ounces of water or gatorade at every water stop, which are usually every couple miles. I DO dump, but haven't on Gatorade or Gu, unless I start out dehydrated, or am sick. I have found I usually won't dump on fluids. I did talk to my surgeons about my running, and they pretty much said "do what works for you." They are pretty strict on meals and (no) protein drinks, but that does not necessarily apply to crazy runners. I do quite a bit of reading and research on running and nutrition, so I trust what I have found more than a nutritionist (who more than likely is not experienced with endurance sports). My normal running week is about 50-60 miles. I pretty much am eating something all day long, it seems. Technically, I have added snacks (fruits) throughout the day. My opinion, for what its worth, is that WLS endurance athletes have the same needs as Non-Op endurance athletes. We just need to work within our constraints, which at a year or more out is really that we can't eat a pound of food line they can. 95% of the information applies to them and us. They (non-ops) are trial and error also. I like www.coolrunning.com message boards for information. Good Luck! Tek
ncarter11
on 10/14/05 12:54 am - Edmonds, WA
Seattle Marathon! I am excited for it. I don't yet enjoy running, but I love the accomplishment and no longer hate it. That's something, eh? I'm still cold all the time from my WL - I wonder what it will be like in late november. It's not so cold here now. You are very inspiring, Tek. 50-60 miles a week!?! Wow. I'm not sure I'll every shoot for the full marathon but you make me think about it! Thanks for all the input on refueling and nurtrition. My stomach is the same way about food close to a run/workout. I have found Gu, banana (well-chewed and washed down), and yogurt to be acceptable to my tummy. Thanks for the link and, again, for the advice and insight and indepth reply! Nan
Most Active
Recent Topics