How long did it take you?

BrandNewMe2010
on 5/15/10 1:58 am
I got my CPAP maching about a week ago. I have slept with it for 8 nights at this point and I am STILL waking up tired. The first few nights I had it I did take it off part way through the night because it was driving me crazy and I had to spend a few nights adjusting it til I found the fit I could sleep with(and the nasal pillow didn't feel like it was ripping my nose off! I think I had it too tight) But here I am about 4 days into wearing it all night long and I'm still waking up tired. How long did it take you to feel like it was actually working?
 Nicole - First appt & Nutrition appt 3/11/10, Upper GI 4/8, Psych Eval 4/16, Cardiac Clrnc 8/5, Last Appt 8/6, Motility Study 9/7, Case FINALLY submitd 9/24, Approval Letter received 10/6

murphy10
on 5/16/10 5:15 am - Hamilton, Canada
Hi Nicole,
I picked up my CPAP machine last Wednesday so have slept with it for 4 nights only.  Two of those nights were awkward, constantly adjusting the straps and mask so that the air wouldn't escape.  The 3rd night I slept right through, didn't even roll over and woke up with an ache in my hip from lying on my side all night and last night was pretty good too.  As far as tired and energy levels go I haven't noticed a big difference yet.  I usually wake up fine and am alert but get sleepy later in the day.  So far I have had a nap each day for a half hour or so.  I hope it improves steadily as I would like more 'get-up-and-go' energy. 
Lorraine
Libby B.
on 5/16/10 7:06 am - Des Moines, IA
I noticed it immediately but I have such severe sleep apnea anything was an improvement. It took me a long time to get my headgear right and still from time to time adjust it.   My advice is stick with it because you will get to the point where you can't sleep without it. 

Libby- 27  Visit my blog!
http://beentherewasthat.blogspot.com/

Generic User_Name
on 6/4/10 6:38 am
On May 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM Pacific Time, esb1026 wrote:
I noticed it immediately but I have such severe sleep apnea anything was an improvement. It took me a long time to get my headgear right and still from time to time adjust it.   My advice is stick with it because you will get to the point where you can't sleep without it. 
I noticed it the following morning.  I woke up with an "Oxygen Buzz".  Hang in there.  It will get better.

BrandNewMe2010
on 5/17/10 12:51 am
Thank you for your responses. I was wondering if maybe I needed a new mask because it wasn't working right or something. Last night wasn't so bad. I didn't wake up exhausted this morning. So hopefully I'm getting the hang of this.
 Nicole - First appt & Nutrition appt 3/11/10, Upper GI 4/8, Psych Eval 4/16, Cardiac Clrnc 8/5, Last Appt 8/6, Motility Study 9/7, Case FINALLY submitd 9/24, Approval Letter received 10/6

murphy10
on 5/17/10 12:42 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Glad to see that you are getting used to the 'sleep genie'.  I also am using the nose one and have been having trouble with my teeth.  The tightness of the band is holding my upper jaw stationary and therefore my bottom front teeth are putting pressure on the top middle teeth.  I have to go back and they are going to give me a few other options to try.  I don't want to solve my sleeping problem but develop a dental one LOL.
Lorraine

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/10 1:31 pm - Garden Grove, CA
RNY on 07/22/10 with
I have has a cpap machine w/ humidifier for over ten years, I use a gel mask. I get a new mask every 6 months. It usually takes me 2 to 3 weeks to get it adjusted so I am not beating up my nose, or blowing air into my eyes. I slept through the night on my first night. I woke to my wife and two kids wondering if I was still alive. I wasn't snoring. and I didn't move all night long. My pressure is kinda high 17hg. With that high of pressure, I have to use a strap to keep my mouth shut. That's I we keep from getting the dry mouth. I spoke with my surgeon the other night. I asked him if it is possible to get off the machine after surgery. He told me that there is a real good chance. Now I am scared that I won't be able to sleep with out it. I will cross that bridge when I get there. Good luck with your machine. I hope I helped some. 
Most Active