really hate my CPAP

Evelyn L.
on 6/14/10 2:43 pm - Fort Stewart, GA
 I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea almost a year ago.  I have been through 3 different masks.  I can keep it on IF I take a sleep aid, because I get drowsy.  However, I usually end up freaking out at some point and ripping it off my face.  I weaned myself off the sleep aid months ago, because my doctor told me if I didn't use the machine, he would stop prescribing me the meds.  That is how much I hate that machine.  I so hoped it would be a miracle and help me rest better at night, but I simply can't get used to it.

I have not even talked to my doctor about having WLS yet.  I have an appointment this week though.  I read a couple of older posts that said if we have SA we need to be using the machine.  I want the surgery so bad, but I just don't know if I can use it.  I am constantly exhausted.  I have 3 young children, one which is only 7 months old and the exhaustion is killing me.  

Not sure what I was hoping to accomplish by making this post. Just needed to vent I guess. 

smartie_pants
on 6/17/10 2:23 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I just had my sleep apnea test last week, and after reading some of these posts, I'm afraid that I might have to use that awful machine. The tech put the mask on me after I had been asleep for a few hours and I hated it!! Another thing that I read (dont know if it's true) is that your sleep apnea doctor has to give his approval for you to have the surgery, and that sux for both of us if it's true.
"The most important work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home"  Harold B. Lee

Libby B.
on 6/20/10 8:51 am - Des Moines, IA
Yes my sleep dr had to send a letter of clearance to my WLS before he would let me have surgery.  I can't relate to your problem though I have gotten really used to mine and I can't sleep without it.

My mom got diagnosed with sleep apnea during her pre-op testing and she had to have 60 days of use before she could have surgery. 

Libby- 27  Visit my blog!
http://beentherewasthat.blogspot.com/

murphy10
on 6/25/10 2:04 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Hi,
I am scheduled for WLS and through part of the preparations and tests I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea....who knew?  I was sent to the CPAP place and they loaned me one for a month and during that time I tried 5 or 6 different masks, some were horrid but I finally found a nasal mask that works well and I am comfortable with.  Then I purchased the machine.  I don't even know it's there most of the time.  We cannot have the surgery without our CPAP machine.  When we come out of surgery we're ina special step down room (one step up from intensive care) so that they can monitor our breathing and machines.  Also, the doctor in Ontario must send a letter to our DMV (dept. of motor vehicles) telling them that we have sleep apnea.  If we are on the machines no problem but if we don't use them we can lose our driver's license.  This is because of the possibility of falling asleep at the wheel.  I would suggest you try different masks, hopefully you will find one that works for you.
Lorraine

Miriam Richardson
on 8/7/10 9:01 am - Eldorado, IL
Try the nasel pillows instead of the face mask. works so much better for me.
Total lost

Lost since surgery

Amount to goal

hjoanneg9000
on 12/9/10 7:47 pm - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 10/02/12
It took me about a year of throwing it across the room - oppositional defiance I guess - but now it doesn't bug me too much (BIPAP 25/18).  And yes, I had to go to a petite nasal mask in order to stand it.
TheHelly
on 4/10/11 8:59 am - Pascoag, RI
RNY on 12/11/12
 I'm just getting used to mine too.  They started me out with nasal pillows but they didn't work well for me.  Now I have a full face mask... It's the one with the most gel on round the part that goes against my face.  I find that if I tighten the straps there's no air leaks.  You could try that.

The vendor did *fit* it for me, but I found that I still needed to make some adjustments.  It's hard to get used to it.  I keep reading that even a couple of hours a night is better than nothing and it might start out that way and as you get used to it... the time will increase.

I actually surprised myself last night.  I woke up like 2 hours after falling asleep... and where I would at this point rip the mask off.. I took it off and found I had a bit of a harder time breathing without the mask so I put it back on.  This really really surprised me... so I guess it really is all about the mask.

Good luck!
YankeeRose
on 2/13/11 11:14 am - Meadville, PA
I am also new to the cpap. Just got it last Thursday. I had to get a mask that goes over both my nose and mouth because I sometimes breathe with my mouth open. I am having a terrible time getting used to the mask and the air blowing in my face. Longest I have been able to keep it on is about 4 hours. I'm okay when I first put it on because I can lower the pressure to 4 but my normal setting is a 12 so when I wake up with the the mask blowing 12, I start to panic and can't get the mask off fast enough! I have been unable to put the mask back on after that. I hope and pray it gets easier because I need to have this surgery bad. I have been waiting for 6-7 yrs to have this surgery and I don't want this cpap to screw things up. Any suggestions?

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Most Active