A Mighty Wind

giwhiz93
on 9/10/10 3:19 am - Sheffield Lake, OH
Just got my cpap, which is set at a level 18 because my episodes run every 45 seconds, or 90 an hour. Any advice for the first night?
Thanks
joyoga
on 9/10/10 7:32 am

My apnea was up there like yours is.  The first night I slept with it on for 4 hours and woke up ready to go because I hadn't slept that well in years!  Just give it some time to get used to it.  Even if you just wear it a few hours at a time, that's better than nothing at first.  Good luck; it's gonna be great.

giwhiz93
on 9/10/10 8:54 am - Sheffield Lake, OH
Thanks so much, joyoga! You give me hope.

( It was hysterical getting fitted for that mask, at that pressure my cheeks were ballooning or the mask was farting on one side.)
Mishelle R.
on 9/11/10 2:26 pm
So did you get any sleep your first night? Air leaks can be a pain. Hopefully the mask you got works great for you. I love the mask I use, its the most tempermental bugger I've ever used. HOwever when I do have it sit just right, Man do I sleep the best! Even a year post op I still need and use my cpap machine.

I was at a 12 - probably should of been a 13. And now I'm at a 6.5 its so nice to be able to sleep, who knew it was so dang important
giwhiz93
on 9/12/10 8:51 am - Sheffield Lake, OH
Yes, Mishelle, I sure did, thanks. Loved it, just as joyoga said. But I seem to need to take a few minutes break after 4 hours, and then I put it on again. Yep, my mask is tempermental too, a comfortfull2...with a ball clip... my hub said it was leaking like crazy last night. Maybe that is why I am seem to have a prob with dry mouth. It is a heated unit with water, so maybe I'm still dropping my jaw?  My sis said I might need a chin strap

then I get an itchy nose once I'm all hooked up...must have been one of those kids who couldn't sit still in church, too ;-)

Gotta get it solved..hub said it was the first time HE slept in peace!

Mishelle R.
on 9/12/10 10:19 am
get a soft elastic headband and see if that helps keep your mouth shut.

If the pressure is too much your mouth could be forced open. If it continues, then I'd ask for an autopap trial at home to confirm your pressure setting. Just a thought.

How much humidity are you using?  Might need more, if your still running air at night, might need to put your hose under the covers with you to keep the condensation down. WHen ever there is cool air in the room.

Type 1 diabetic for 25 years - pumping for 12 years.

giwhiz93
on 9/12/10 11:34 am - Sheffield Lake, OH
Wow! that makes sense, Mishelle, thanks for the advice.

Not sure how much humidity it is set for. I do tuck the hose under the covers, haven't had much problem with condensation yet. My sis did, and her doctor told her to velcro a tube of felt around the hose.

Its good to hear that your level went down. Its awesome to be able to really breathe at night.

Mishelle R.
on 9/13/10 5:08 am
Check the dial, usually it might be set for 2 - typical recommendation. Since I've been battling a sinus infection I turned it up to 3 or 4. That humidity helps  - typically a dry climate here :)

Type 1 diabetic for 25 years - pumping for 12 years.

giwhiz93
on 9/13/10 6:26 am - Sheffield Lake, OH
okeedoke I have container and hose drying so it won't come on until I put them back later..its got some thermasmart button I don't know a thing about anyway :-)
giwhiz93
on 9/13/10 11:19 am - Sheffield Lake, OH
Okay, when I hit the button "HC" comes up, then the number 604, and then the number 2.5

that must be the humidity?

Thanks Mishelle
Most Active