Pulmonogist said my WL Surgeon wants his pt's to where their Sleep Apnea Machines after...

12Rowrena
on 6/8/12 2:44 am - Reinbeck, IA
I was first diagnosed in 1997 and I believe the setting number was a 7  not very strong.  I was tested again several years later and got yet another new CPap and the number was raised but I do not know why.  Since that time I have had to go very strong pain medication for 3 failed back surgeryies with nerve damage that was caused between the first and second surgery that was 4 weeks apart that goes down my left leg and into my foot.  I take Morphine 12 hours release every 12 hours and quite a bit of it.  The last time I was tested they changed me to a BiPap even though all these years I have not been able to wear the masks.  Since I was told my WLS Dr. Glas**** requires you to wear it I have been trying to wear this thing now for several months and still with several different masks have not been able to wear it.  With the machine I have now BiPap i have 4 different settins and one of them is 30 and it causes the air to blow past the mask which wakes me up and it causes a suction that has that masked sucked onto my face to the point the last time I tried to wear it for approx 40 min I woke up and the whole right side of my face was numb.

The pulmonary Doctor I was sent to before my surgery is schedules said there was a different type of machine I should have been put on and I'm affraid my surgery will not be postponed even though I have passed everything that is required just so I go through yet another sleep study and get yet my 4th machine that my insurance company has to pay for that I can't use.  I believe this is ridiculous when in fact when this surgery works I won't have this problem any longer.

Any ideas for me?
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/12 5:48 am - FL
VSG on 10/05/12
 If you get another machine, I would recommend an AutoPAP. These can be set at a continuous mode (CPAP) so you get the best of both worlds. The APAP adjust itself contantly based on it detecting AHI events. Unfortunately, it will ramp pressure up due to mask leaks as well. Mine is set at 8 low, and 16 high.  I wake up every time mask leaks, and pressure starts to ramp up. 

I have a Resmed Autoset APAP and it has a feature,  Easy-Breathe expiratory pressure relief (EPR)  , that lowers the exhalation pressure, somewhat like a BiPAP. However, this caused the full face masked to seem to "jump" on my face each time the pressure slacked on and off with each breath. Fortunately, its user adjustable, so I set it down to level 1.

My problems were solved when I went to nasal pillows. I was a mouth breather, heavy snorer, and the sleep tech always told me I needed a full fask mask. I paid out of pocket for my own set of nasal pillows and its perfect.  Nasal Pillows comes with small, medium, and large pillows so fit is perfect. It doesnt jump when I breath. I set EPR back to level 3 as a result. Ramp time down to 5 min since its so comfortable. No leaks ever. For me, pressure is at 8, and every morning I wake up, the highest I have seen the pressure is 8.4, whereas I saw 15 with full fask mask. Sleep tech said I needed a chin strap, but I havent worn it and don't seem to have a problem now keeping my mouth shut. This is something you can learn.
Most Active