freaking out here.....OXYGEN!

Lupie007
on 11/13/12 2:50 am - Canada

Background - I am 40, have Lupus (autoimmune disease) which gave me a lung disease. I can absorb about 60% oxygen of a 'normal' person. I do not wear oxygen anymore since my situation has greatly improved. When i sleep, my absorption falls. btw - BMI is 40.

So I do a sleep study at HRRH (during hurricane sandy!). Of course they see my levels drop, now Internist wants me to do a 3 night test at home to measure my oxygen levels. i know how that is going to turn out.....low oxygen intake. To my knowledge no sleep apnea, although tech said i did snore (but not like a big old trucker snore), my hubby says its more like a soft purrr.

So my concern is that he will boot me out of the program! I know im probably jumping to conclusions, but im freaked out. The reason i am at 60 and not 80 is because of my weight.......takes a lot of energy for lungs to push my chest up if its heavy! My respirologist is always nagging me to lose weight and I see him next week anyway. People - at 40 BMI i would be considered a relative lightweight for WLS. Dont tell me other people dont have lung issues?? I have never even smoked. Cant they just put oxygen on me during surgery? Whats the big deal???? Anyone have a similar experience? What was the outcome?

smallisland
on 6/19/13 6:19 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Hi, I am 46 and have sleep apnea....but during the sleep test they discovered that because of my weight my lungs were not expanding the way they should. My oxygen level was dropping to 72.  Currently my surgery is a go ahead so maybe yours will be the same.  Good luck and hope things work out!

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Most Active