Mask falls off?!

megganmurphy
on 5/10/04 3:43 am - Evans, GA
I have been sleeping with my CPAP machine for about 3 weeks now. ANd everynight I either take my mask off, or it falls off in the middle of the night and I don't realize it. I don't know what to do to help STOP myself from removing the mask in the middle of the night. I still wake up exhausted and I can't take it anymore! Any advice please!? ~Meggan~
Melinda H.
on 5/10/04 6:34 pm - Bend, OR
I have had sleep apnea for a few years now but when I was first diagnosed I had to try about every mask and head gear they had before I found one that was comfortable and would stay on I would suggest going back to were you got your head gear and asking them to refit you. good luck and it does get easier to were I cant stand not to have it on now that I know how much better I feel with it.
natalie89
on 5/11/04 1:22 am - Louisville, KY
Megan- You are probably taking it off in the middel of the night. i have been wearing my mask for 21/2 years and still do it sometimes. I started wraping a scarf around my head so it would be harder for me to throw it off.If this does not work call your supplier and ask for a band to help it stay fit.
Kathy C.
on 5/11/04 11:52 am - San Leandro, CA
Meggan, I too have been using the CPAP since last wednesday, I think the first night i keep it on for @4hrs, and the following days have been 1-2hrs, i think i wake up in the middle of the nite and pull it off, but i always find it on the end table (not looking like i threw it)!! To weird, I've been having headaches everyday and lasting all day, i called my sleep apnea MD, now they are going to try a different mask, called the pillows? Hope it's better than the Air Force Pilot mask!!!!!! Hope that this is a good suggestion, about taking to your MD of sleep apnea, I hope to get a better nights sleep soon, i should get the new mask by this thursday..
megganmurphy
on 5/12/04 12:28 am - Evans, GA
See, I have the nose pillows, which at first I thought I was going to hate...but surprisingly I got used to them. And I can fall asleep with the mask on, it's just when I wake up in the middle of the night the mask is always next to me in the bed blowing air into my face. hehe I have tried pulling the mask tighter, but it still doesn't work. I'm gonna try the "scarf" trick and hope that works. I have a feeling that I will try and take my mask off no matter what the type or fitting. It's just not a "normal" thing to have on your face while you're trying to sleep, ya know? Thank GOD my WLS is in a week! I pray my sleep apnea goes away along with the FAT! hehe Thanks for all your posts! ~Meggan
Tammi G.
on 5/17/04 11:05 pm - Barrie, Canada
hi all i have bee using a CPAP for five years and have found i had to change my mask numurous times b4 i found one i wouldnt take off every ten minutes lol. the pillows are nice and harder to take off but unfortunatly i am allergic to the plastic they use, so i went to another mask. so far my favorite it the gel mask that just covers my nose not my mouth.. good luck to you. just hang in there it will come together! tammi
Kathy B.
on 5/25/04 10:38 am - Lodi, CA
I did this also. In my case, eventually I became conscious enough to stop and realize what I was doing. It becomes a part of you after awhile. Get in the habit of never EVER keeping it off while asleep. Visualize yourself asleep and not breathing and all of your vital organs sitting there with NO OXYGEN until you decide to breathe again. As far as falling off? No way it should if straps are adjusted correctly. You might be helping it along. It is sooooo worth it to wear it. It was the difference between functioning and not functioning at all for me.
Brett
on 5/27/04 8:31 am - Paradise, CA
Meggan, I have been on a CPAP machine for 4 years. My dad has been on one for 20, and my younger brother has been on one for 2 years. These things take time. Be patient. Get as soft a mask as you can. They have gel ones that you can barely feel. I also recommend you get good head gear. The proper size straps with a good configuration can make a big difference. But remember, it just takes time. My brother has the nose pads, he likes them. My father and I can't stand them. Plus, they irritate the nose. The best thing I ever did was to get the Aire saline gel. I put this around my nostrils and even a bit inside. It keeps my nose from getting irritated, which has become a big thing. --Brett! pre-op, 353, scheduled for 6/22/04
Lisa R.
on 8/3/04 11:49 pm - Farmington, NY
What is this Aire Saline Gel and where do you get it? I have constant dryness in and around my nose. I also have redness around my nose the shape of the mask, with ocassional acne even though my cpap has a humidifier. I thought the dryness was allergies, which it may be. But it's such a problem, I'd be willing to try something new if it might help.
Brett
on 8/8/04 1:53 pm - Paradise, CA
Hi Lisa. The Aire gel can be bought at Rite Aid or a similar store. It's hard to find, but look around the cold and allergy stuff. It is good stuff. It keeps me from getting sores around the nose. Good luck. --Brett! 6/22/04 -71 lbs.
Most Active