CPAP Update

Lisa-G
on 9/2/04 2:09 pm - Spartanburg, SC
Hi all, Thanks for replying to my post. It's nice to know there is intelligent if sleepy life out there . My first two nights with the CPAP have been memorable to day the least. I woke completely up only once each night that I can remember. When I did it felt like something was trying to smother me. I think it's because I am not use to it yet. One good thing was it didn't take me long to get back to sleep. I keep thinking I am going to wake up one morning and it's going to be on the floor because I have pulled it off my nightstand. I had to take 2 of the pillow out from under my head to get more comfortable when I am using my CPAP. I do notice a bit of a difference already. I don't feel as tired and I feel like I actually went to sleep. James, thanks for responding. I am glad your CPAP is working for you. i guess it is up to all of us to get this board moving again. I'm game, I could use any helpful information that is available. Tim, I am going to have to check out that nasalair. That sounds like a winner. Liz, good luck on getting your results and in getting your CPAP so you can rest and feel better. Karen, Those nasal pillows sound interesting also. I have to check them out too. My surgery date is 9/14 one day befor yours, best wishes to you and a speedy recovery. I also hope that once I lose some of this weight that I can stop using my CPAP. Sweet dreams to all, Lisa Geter
thammmer
on 9/2/04 11:43 pm - La Crosse, WI
Lisa... Does your CPAP unit have a "ramp" feature? What this does is to lower the pressure for a period of time... mine is set for 15 minutes, then it will slowly increase the pressure back to the normal setting. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I just hit the ramp button and the pressure drops, this allows me to get back to sleep without the high pressure (14) bothering me. Check yours out.
Lisa-G
on 9/3/04 12:07 am - Spartanburg, SC
Hi Tim, It does have the ramp feature and I use it. I think my problem trying to relax all over again with the headgear on, when I wake up during the night disoriented. It is going to take some getting use to. Thanks for the info, Lisa
thammmer
on 9/3/04 12:11 am - La Crosse, WI
I got too claustrophobic... I couldn't stand the headgear... It was always on the floor in the morning...
Memory B.
on 9/8/04 9:29 am - Munford, TN
Hi Lisa!! I explained my anxieties to my doctor over the mask and the "claustrophobia" issue with the mask. He simply prescribed me Sonata for the first 10 nights that I use the machine. He told me that the pills are non-habit forming and are simply sleep initiators, not sleep maintainers like ambien. I would ask you doctor about something like this if you are new to using the mask and it is just uncomfortable to you. Best wishes on your CPAP endeaver. I will be thinking of you and praying for you!!! Memory Barnhill
E D.
on 9/3/04 2:46 pm
I thought I would get my results today, but no call from the sleep center. I guess I have to wait till Monday. From what I've heard from other... It will take some getting use to. In fact some people tell me they feel better when they use it, but they don't use it. I just don't understand that. So just keep trying and you'll get it. AND hopefully you wont need it after your BMI goes down. Liz
thammmer
on 9/3/04 3:11 pm - La Crosse, WI
Yep... its a long learning curve to get used to it, at least for me. Just when I have a couple of good nights in a row, I start to think that I got this figured out, I have a bad night... When I do wear it, I feel so much better the next day! So, I'll just keep plugging away.
E D.
on 9/3/04 3:20 pm
I was going to ask about "bad nights". I don't have the machine yet, but when I have a bad SA night, I wake up with the worst headaches. So when you have a bad night, do you just feel tired or not rested? Is it still better then not using the machine? Liz
thammmer
on 9/3/04 8:26 pm - La Crosse, WI
When I have a bad night, in which the CPAP apparatus ends up on the floor, I will wake up with a monster of a headache. Another symptom of a bad night is typically in the afternoon following a bad night, while I am studying, ( 47 year old college student... go figure!!!) , I will fall asleep for short periods of time. I won't even realize that I fall asleep until I wake up. This is why it is very dangerous for SA patients to drive.. It will be a very short, (5-10 minute), catnap. I will be reading and I'll just basically pass out for a short time. This can happen a few times... When I am out, I am really out of it,,, really foggy when I wake back up. When I have a good night, that doesn't happen in the afternoon. No need for a nap at all, I feel rarin' to go the next day. Just lucky I have school at night and I don't have to drive in the afternoon...
Most Active