Chin Strap doesn't work

Alice D.
on 9/26/04 4:40 am - Medina, OH
Hi All, I kept waking up with my mouth all dried out when sleeping on my back. They gave me a chin strap, but it doesn't match the headgear I have and there is no way to secure it to the headgear so it won't slip. So I still wake up at least once with my mouth all dried out. All that nice humidified, warmed air that is pumped into my nose, just goes out my mouth. I try to sleep more on my side, but since surgery, sometimes I am just more comfortable on my back. What do you do next if the chin strap doesn't work? Is it worthwhile calling the respiratory therapist? I got the impression when I talked to her last and she sent me the chin strap that that was supposed to be the "cure". I appreciate any ideas. Alice
kitty1000
on 9/26/04 5:40 am - BOONVILLE, IN
I recently started sleeping on my back??? and have the same problem if you find a solution e-mail me the answer ok??? or post ,,,,[email protected] is e-mail
E D.
on 9/26/04 5:41 am
I have not had your experiences yet, so my suggestions are just thoughts, not experience. First call the respiratory therapist again. She needs to know it did not help. Maybe you need and new mask that works with the strap. Second, I know people have to have a new evaluation after surgery. I know it's only been about 6 weeks, but it depends on how much you have lost. Do you still feel like you have sleep apnea? Maybe you are better. Again call the respiratory therapist. Liz
E D.
on 9/26/04 5:43 am
check out this site for more info. http://www.cpapman.com/
thammmer
on 9/26/04 2:00 pm - La Crosse, WI
One of the masks that I tried was a full faced mask. It didn't matter if your mouth was open or not, as the mask covered both your nose and mouth... talk to your respiritory therapist...
Alice D.
on 9/27/04 6:22 am - Medina, OH
Thanks for your replies everyone! I got a catalog with my CPAP machine and I did see a full face mask in it. My insurance covered my CPAP 100% and the respiratory therapist told me they would cover a new mask every 5 months. I got my CPAP in May, so the time when I can request a new mask is coming up soon. I bet she will have to come out and fit it like she did with the one that just fits over the nose and perhaps adjust the pressure on the machine per the doctor's perscription. I will check out that website, too. Thanks again, Alice
Most Active