why can't I get a job?

Nanette N.
on 8/21/04 2:06 pm - Easton, PA
Hi! I am a second career teacher. I earned my certificate in Elementary Ed 1 and 1/2 years ago and sub regularly but can't seem to even get an interview much less hired. I am very depressed right now because I did a long term sub for 5 months this past year and did not even get a call from that principal to interview for any of the six openings he had for this year. In our district there were almost 100 openings this year due to an early retirement plan they offered and I did not get one call! I have sent personal letters to the different principals as well as spoken to many in person. I feel my weight may have something to do with it. I am about 130 lbs overweight. I have had a consult with the surgeon and have begun the process of getting this surgery but I am still depressed. Just needed to get that off my chest. Thanks
NL
on 9/1/04 1:29 pm - IL
Nanette - I know the feeling. I did a long term from August until April the next year, almost the entire school year and didnt get a job for the next school year. I definitely think it was my weight. Hence I had surgery one week ago and hope next year I will get a job. I always see heavy teachers in each of the schools I sub in and wonder how they got the job but now when I am thin I will know if weight is what held me back before. There wont be any questions the next time around.
Denise P.
on 9/15/04 12:27 am - Antioch, IL
I think the job market is horrible. I have lost 175 pounds since surgery, and I have a Master's in Early Childhood. I think MY problem is overqualification! But it is a shame because I LOVE KIDS and I love to teach. I left a wonderful job in IL when I relocated to Michigan with my husband. It kills me because I haven't worked with kids for 14 months now. And my husband just went back to school for HVAC, so we are BROKE!!! If anybody has any leads, let me know. And keep your head up high, everyone. It's gotta get better, right???
hermanjeannie
on 1/21/05 12:30 am - SMALL TOWN, OH
Hi Nanette, I am a teacher also. I am in music. I did sub work for 3 and a half years. For three different school districts. Sometimes I think if they find really good subs (I must have been a good sub, cause I worked every day!!) they do not want to let them go. So they hire out of their sub lists. Who knows what administrators are thinking!! I finally got hired at a school district that I had never worked at...and it is wonderful. I have been there for 16 years now. When I looked back at my resume's I understand why I did not get hired. Even though I had proof read them so many times my eyes crossed...there were still some mistakes. I am sure that is not the only reason!! But, I could not believe it. I was too embarrassed!! Also, keep the calls going into the districts you want hired into. And, call alot in August! That is when some teachers will let their administrators know they are not coming back. Even several days before school starts in the fall!! That is when I got hired. I was at the right place at the right time. In fact the principal said they had already decided on a teacher when I called about openings. I was able to go in within an hours notice and got the job!!! So don't give up!! Just keep hanging in there...and interviewing. It will happen!! Good luck! Jeannie
aimeexx
on 5/24/05 7:32 am - Beaumont, CA
Hi there. I was wondering if you ever got a job? The market is horrible out here in California too! Aimee
Most Active
Recent Topics