Help

Clay Crews
on 1/9/04 1:13 am - Mayodan, NC
Are there any folks out there who drive a truck for a living that has had this surgery? I would like to know how soon were you able to get back to work? Thanks. Clay Crews
Nut Picker
on 1/11/04 9:10 am - Council Bluffs, IA
Hi Clay, I don't drive now, back injury, but I drove OTR for 15 yrs and local for the last 5. I had RNY done Lap and I was pretty happy with how good I felt after surgery. (course the morphine had something to do with that) I would estimate 3-4 wks after if dispatch will work with you. The stamina level was low for me. I would get tired easy. But as far as walking that should be ok, if you have to load/unload yourself that would be a problem, again dispatch. I had gallbladder surgery in 2000 and they sent me back to work in 2 wks, that was too soon. But this surgery was lots easier on me. Sometimes I can understand all those women that have husbands. LOL I hope this helps, but of course, we both know that all truckdrivers are rich so staying off work is ok! Sue
Dennis W.
on 1/18/04 8:59 am - Dewey, Az
I'm still in line for my surgery the first week of March, but I've had a number of conversations on when to go back to work. If you have to do much lifting of 25-50 lbs. you should wait at least 6 - 8 weeks. Have you talked with your surgeon? I'd follow his advice to the T. I drive a Mixer (cement) in Arizona and have to lift the 40 pound chute sections for every job I go to during the day. I am scheduling myself off for 8 weeks. This is my first surgery of any kind and I don't like the thought of going back in to have a hernia repaired. Just try to enjoy your recovery time. I've planned a couple of projects at the house involving hobbies and some serious reloading for my handgun. I'll probably even have some time to go to the range. Best wishes...
baabyzodi
on 1/23/04 1:36 pm - harrodsburg, KY
I wanted to say good luck. I have been off for almost a year and they tell me this surgery is the only way I'll get to go back and feel good doing it. I've only been driving for 2 years and I miss it so bad I can't hardly stand it. of couse I will be looking for anew employer since I broke my tail bone at the last company and now fighting with workers comp over it. but I also hit my back and have a bit of degenerative disk and thats where the wieght loss comes in at. any how good luck and I hope you work for a good understanding company. cheyenne
Angel T.
on 2/14/04 10:47 am - Waycross, GA
Hi Clay! I have been on the road for 8 years and was hauling Petrolum last. My health has pulled me from the raod right now and thins does not help my feelings and depression. I have not also got my date yet, but 2 appt, Monday 16th of Feb., so hopfully soon. I was going thru another progam andI read a ladys story and she went back to driving in 3 weeks. So, I think it is how u recover and how your company feels. Good Luck and Best wishes! lots of love Angel
Cathy S.
on 4/14/04 2:27 pm - Tulsa, OK
Hi Clay,I am currently a otr driver and plan to have my surgery sometime this summer.Because I am an o/o,I dont have health insurance and will be paying for it my self, I talked to my dr and he said if I chose to have the surgery done lap,that I could go back to work in 5 to 6 wks. If I have it done open,he wants me off for 8 wks due to having to climb in and out of the truck and trlr all the time. I pull a refer, so there is a lot up and down in the trlr to check my produce temps.Anyway, I hope I helped.I think the best thing to do is plan on being home 3mths. That way, you will have a good nest egg to lean on during that time.If you get to go back to work early, then you are just that much better off. Good luck and if you would like to email me privately with any more questions, feel free. Ive been researching this for about 2 yrs. Good luck and God bless you
dozerr
on 7/3/04 9:33 am - Wyoming, MI
I took 8 weeks off before i went back still took it easy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Life after surgery
Keighty S. · 2 replies · 392 views
need to know/insurance
Rebecca D. · 1 replies · 314 views
Do You Know?
littlebit · 1 replies · 322 views
Stronger!?