*VBG to VSG* IS POSSIBLE!!! I Had The Revision!!!!

coreena691
on 5/17/11 3:03 am, edited 5/17/11 3:05 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Howdy fellow VBG oldtimers!!!

For anyone wondering about a type of revision from VBG, because we all know there's a high percentage of mechanical failure from this old procedure, I would like to share my experience....

I just had my revision 5 days ago on May 12th from the old Vertical Banded Gastroplasty in 1991 to the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

I had a fistula (hole where staples let go from pouch to old stomach) which just happened back in Dec. 2010.  I decided to go with the revision to the sleeve even though I had the option to do RNY, but I felt I didn't need the malabsorbtion just restriction along with being "fixed" again. 

I was so happy to wake up from surgery to find it was converted sucessfully.  I had read for days on end and searched every corner of the globe for info of this type of revision and realized it's not the most common for VBG revision.  But I took the chance and going with what my surgeon said, if all was well inside after removal of my old band, he would be able to make the sleeve down the same side where the pouch & band used to be.  

I feel great, mind you some discomfort due to the open surgery (he wouldn't do laproscopic as he was prepared for complications with revisions --my liver was attached to my stomach from scar adhesions, but was taken care of and the gastrectomy dealt with the rest of the old stomach).  So other than soreness, I have already lost 6 lbs post-op!!!!  Keep in mind I am a low weight from my old surgery, so I was 208 the other day, and now down to 202.  I expect my "honeymoon" will be slower 2nd time around but I am excited to see I still will be able to lose more weight and get back to my already accomplished goal.  (I had lost 90lbs in 5mths from VBG the first time and stayed in Maintainance Goal for over 13 yrs--even after having 2 children.  It was only when I started to have problems with my VBG band and staples that I began to regain my old weight. 

So.......If any of you old timers that had VBG are wondering if it's possible to convert to the Sleeve, I am here to say YES!!!!  If you still only need the restricition but don't want the horrible effects of the bands, this is the route to go.  Of course the other procedures with malabsorbtion are too possible, this was the best choice for me to get back on track!!!!! 

Everything feels sooooo much better already and I'm only 5 days post-op.  No more vomiting, or food stuck, just simple small meals will finally become my norm. 

Coreena

VBG-VSG May 12, 2010

VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

VBG_1998
on 5/22/11 8:12 am
Congratulations!  I had a VBG in 1998 and am working on getting a revision to the VSG as well.  I had a surgeon, had the insurance approved, EVEN had a surgery date and then found out the Dr.'s office is engaged in insurance fraud!!!!   Finding this out two weeks from when I was supposed to have surgery was quite a blow.  Starting the process over again....

Once again, congrats on getting your revision!!!
visuos
on 3/18/12 11:32 am
Did your surgeon give you a difficult time about wanting to consider the revision to the VSG?  That has been my problem so far the surgeons I have spoken with only will consider Gastric Bypass which for me is a bit overwhelming I like you know that the weight loss worked until the staple line began to leak. the constant vomiting, stuck food, heartburn.   I am 51 and do worry about malabsorption as well as the complication risks of adhesions, and blockages.  You are now almost 10 months in is your weight loss on target? 

Vicki
Geminidawn
on 2/5/15 3:56 am

Hi. I know this is an old post but I am looking at doing the same thing so am glad to hear it can be done. How are you doing now a few years later?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4316 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8576 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8097 views