difference in VBG and sleeve

marytx3
on 6/6/11 6:24 am
What is the difference in the VBG and sleeve? I just had a revision Thursday from lap band to sleeve and am really excited but wondering what the VBG is...banding w/o fills?
deb.c
on 6/7/11 11:08 am
hi, david i am trying to decide about sleeve i have band in since 2006 not good alot of issuese having a hard time need to lose  50 to 60 more what made you change?
hi having sleeve on sept 6 band coming out has any one had this?            
marytx3
on 6/7/11 12:10 pm
Hi! I had a lap band in 2007 and lost around 40lbs in beginning and then stopped having any restriction.  Had a new port put in...no change, so i decided to have the sleeve and am very excited.  From all I have heard, people really have good success with this.

I am wondering though the differenc in lap band and the gastric band (VBG) do you know?

So far I would recommend the change to sleeve, but am not really far enough out of surgery to tell you...am still on liquids at this stage!!

Mary
angiebaby713
on 6/21/11 10:33 am
The VBG is a horrible option for weight loss.  In fact, I'm not sure if it is even performed in the area which I live anymore because of the terrible success...or should I say high failure rates.  I'm a revision to the sleeve, and the two surgeries are like night and day.  The VBG is essentially a band (non-filled) and stomach stapling. I lost weight initally (90lbs), but due to the pressure exerted through non-solicited vomiting, the staple line opened up and there went my restriction. Trust me, the sleeve is the closest WLS out there that doesn't cause this side effect, and makes you feel near normal. Hope this helps :-)
Sleeved...and lovin' it!!

vsg: 12/9/2010 
marytx3
on 6/21/11 11:11 am
Many thanks for the explanation!!
jacobwilson8
on 7/5/11 9:32 pm
Vertical banded gastroplasty involves stitching of the stomach and an insertion of a band. Since the size of the stomach becomes smaller, this procedure helps to restrict your food intake but does not interfere with the normal digestive process. With gastric sleeve surgery, you are able to lose more weight more quickly but you need to think through this decision very carefully as it cannot be reversed.  If you feel the need for a second opinion, I would highly recommend the bariatric surgery, NJ, which is well-known for such surgeries.
jacobwilson8
on 7/10/11 5:02 pm
The difference is very simple, in lap band they put a band on the stomach, like a belt and so it reduces the food intake. In gastric sleeve, the stomach is reduced to 25% of the original size. But I warn that gastric sleeve surgery is said to be for people having BMI more than 40, while lap band can be done on people having in lower BMI.
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/11 3:46 am - London, United Kingdom
They'll do a VSG in Mexico on a BMI of 30.
(deactivated member)
on 7/24/11 5:58 am
 The OP was asking about the difference between vertical sleeve gastrectomy and vertical banded gastroplasty (not the Lap band.) Here is a link to show what VBG is:
http://www.asbs.org/html/patients/gastroplasty.html
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4316 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8577 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8097 views