Over reacting or being naive?

tabby_87
on 3/23/11 9:37 pm

It's me again,once again on a endless path of ranting and raving!! lol Ok I know I have posted about going to Mexico for surgery before since Iam on the self pay path. And after researching and getting some of your replys I was totally confident that I was going to Mexico.The problem is the reaction Iam getting back from my friends and family. Are they over reacting? Or am I just being naive (sp?). The common response is " Mexico isnt the way it was a couple years ago! " And then when I try to explain Ive done research and Ive talked to people and they reassured me I have nothing to worry about i usually get  " o ok so your "internet friends" and "support group" !
    Mind you Ive never been out of the state,let alone out of the country. I dont know if this is all a scare tactic? Or am I just being totally blind. As if patiently waiting for approval from financial co. isnt enough Iam dealing with negativity from my closest friends and family. I feel like iam obsessed with this! And I wont stop until I have it done. I read and research everyday. And you all give me the honest to god truth every time I post...DONT FAIL ME NOW!  lol :) Thanks for listening to the usual rambling!!

baxteroni
on 3/23/11 9:49 pm - Indianapolis, IN
 I feel ya, and I'm only planning a vacation in Mx.  My hubs works at a time-share call center and won a free week at ultra-swank resort, but when I tell people about it all I hear is about how dangerous the country is.

I don't know first hand about surgery in Mx, but I've read about people's experiences, and it seems to be the same as folks who stay local.  I'm wondering if your nay-sayers would still be saying nay if you stayed home for the surgery?  You know, the way someone always knows/heard about someone who had a bad experience.

So, you keep researching and do what your heart tells you... and I'll be dreaming of what size I'll be able to wear while on the beach in August!
 ~ Jen    
Sooz.L.
on 3/23/11 9:56 pm - United Kingdom
Right
You have done the research.  Have they?
I know nothing about Mexico but there are a lot of people going down there to have this done and they all seem quite happy with it.
Are your friends and family worried that you will not be the person who you have been . Let me tell them that you will be the same person only one that will be with them in good health for longer that you would have been if you don't have this procedure. If you know what I mean
Surgery is a big step but I am not regretting a moment of it .      My family were not against it as such, but worried at the risks that any surgery brings. My mum felt guilty that she had made me this way. She is fine now and supports me in this journey
Go and get that passport and good luck. Travel broadens your mind. You never know you may travel to Europe next!!!

tabby_87
on 3/23/11 9:56 pm
  I thought I would add a actual comment that came from a guy friend--his words were " your a$$ is gunna be smugglin 10 kilos back from Tiajuana" although this is hilarious..it doesnt help me any!! LOL
tabby_87
on 3/23/11 10:00 pm
  They have the stereo typical opinions, that Iam going to get gang raped mugged and held hostage by drug lords. lol
Marie B.
on 3/23/11 10:10 pm - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
I understand what you are going through.  I heard NOTHING but negative comments from everyone!  But my mind was set.  I chose a great surgeon, who, BTW, had WAY WAY more experience then the local surgeons.  I have not had a single issue, I've lost all the weight, and my surgeon is still my best bud via Facebook.  It's your journey, and your choice.  Others may never understand, but we here on OH sure do!
Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 3/23/11 11:00 pm - New Orleans
There comes a time YOU have to do what's right for YOU.  Not what's right for your friends.  I didn't tell many people what I was doing or where I was going... but the few I did tell said all the things you're hearing now.  What did I do?  I went with the facts I had researched instead of uninformed opinions.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

NoEscape21
on 3/23/11 11:28 pm - Apopka, FL
He is absolutely right! I still have family members saying stuff but no matter my day is inching closer and I will be going to Mexico for this.

I know that they are worried and that is fine. I know I have done my research, you know if you have done yours. There is great info on OH from other members.  I dont think you are being niave. For me its just going to be that they will have to see that I come back in one piece and until that time they think I am being stupid. They wouldnt have the same reaction if I  was going to a dr locally. I know because one family members face lit up when I said "I am thinking of having wls", until I also said the words "in mexico", in that same sentence.
  Unicorns fart rainbows and magic!              HW:272 SW:260 GW:120
 Blog:  Weighed Down: A blog about becoming a former fat girl
Youtube: 
No Escape's Channel Join: The Pin -Up Girls: Vixens in progressLilySlim Weight loss tickers

chadhat
on 3/23/11 11:11 pm - WA
I cannot comment about the surgery in Mexico - but going to Mexico is safe. Most of the violence has been in the border towns.  Unless your going to those towns I would not worry.

I went my my family to Puerto Vallarta a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time.  People (friends, f-in-law, even a stewardess on a fligjt) warned me not to go and I almost cancelled and rebooked to Hawaii but couldnt find something last minute and went.  And glad I did.  Another friend also just went there with his 3 kids.

People there - the locals were wonderful - some of the kindest, most helpful I have seen anywhere around the world.  It was completely safe - but we did not go out a 2 am or shlep out to out of the way places.  I would not do the same in Washington D.C. So keep your wits about - stay within the popular places and you'll be fine.  There will be con guys (a few) trying to have you go to a free trip (but are agents for timeshares) etc.

I feel sorry for all this hoopla - it is a poor country with a significant dependence on tourists and this has caused tourism to drop.  Go get your surgery, relax and start on a wonderful WL journey.
TC
Kirkland WA
NoEscape21
on 3/23/11 11:31 pm - Apopka, FL
I believe many of the surgeons do work in the border cities, like TJ,  Mexicali, etc

However violence isn't happening throughout the entire place, from what I have heard the drivers that they have pick you up from San Diego know which routes they should or shouldnt take to keep you out of harms way. I personally plan on staying in the hospital and then in my hotel room until its time to go back to the airport.
  Unicorns fart rainbows and magic!              HW:272 SW:260 GW:120
 Blog:  Weighed Down: A blog about becoming a former fat girl
Youtube: 
No Escape's Channel Join: The Pin -Up Girls: Vixens in progressLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 76 views