embarrassed by second thoughts

Tracey W.
on 3/27/11 4:08 pm - NH
Ok, so I'm a regular around here that hasn't had surgery yet. I'm about about to finally have my surgeon appointment and am having second thoughts. It's coming down to the wire. I really need to get this figured out. I have more than 100 pounds to lose and I'm not sure at all that I can do it without surgery.
I'm most scared of terrible reflux after surgery (since I've had it for 10 years already). I'm also really worried about not being able to take my nsaids anymore. I've been recently told to stop taking them and start on tylenol. I tried that for a couple days and could barely walk. The last thing that I'm concerned about is the emotional eating. I just don't want to go through this and not be ready. I'm a wicked worrier, so this is pretty normal for me. At least I'm not afraid of the dying from surgery thing tonight...LOL
Freaking out a bit.
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 12:09 am, edited 3/28/11 12:20 am - CA
 Hi there,

Ok...I will try and answer your questions/fears one at a time. Number one is that losing over 100lbs with diet & excersice only is exeedingly difficult...it can be done but the heavier you are the less mobile you are, and the vicious cycle is usually to get heavier the older we get. Unfortunatly. Now here is the good news. I had hearburn before surgery and when I started losing weight, the hearburn went away. Now I am a special case because I have had two sleeve surgeries. The second one to make my sleeve smaller, and now I have some heartburn...but nothing that I can't control with diet and a few maalox tablets a day. Our stomachs are producing acid for a bigger stomach that we no longer have. This corrects itself over time.  Now one of the main benefits of the sleeve is that we are allowed to take NSAIDS. Your doctor has only told you to stop for surgery day purposes,after surgery your back to being allowed NSAIDS. As far as the emotional eating....join the club. We call that head hunger around here and it's a struggle regardless of what anyone says. Here is more good news. When you start losing weight.....YOU GET HAPPY! And you get inspired to lose more....it's a happy cycle!!! You will learn to recognize your triggers for emotional and or head hunger.....but quite frankly that is an issue we all have to manage best we can.

Blessings and I hope this helped,
Jenny 
110lbs lost

P.S. This surgery is really low risk....my c-sections were way more painful
Eula "Evie" R.
on 3/28/11 12:28 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Hi Jenny,
I tried to send you a message, but could not. I would like to ask you why you had to sleeve surgeries? Did the first one get to big to lose weight? I hope you don't care for me asking.
My family is so against this surgery. [email protected]

God Bless
Evie
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 12:35 am, edited 3/28/11 12:50 am - CA
 Hi Evie,

No problem.....I actually lost 100lbs with my first sleeve surgery and kept it off within a 10lbs range for over 2 years. But I was struggling to lose more and reach my goal(I was a heavyweight). So I went back to see my surgeon and he did a scope, and my sleeve was nearly a normal sized stomach again. Long story short my surgeon was VERY conservative in making my first sleeve, and it was large to begin with. So I had the large upper portion of my sleeve "resleeved" and now I am happily losing again. You will love your sleeve....coming from someone who has had two LOL

Blessings,
Jenny 
110lbs lost

P.S. My resleeve was 02/22/2011
Eula "Evie" R.
on 3/28/11 12:49 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Thank you Jenny. Keep up the good work.
God Bless
Evie
Carmelita
on 3/28/11 1:04 am - Four Corners, NM
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 1:19 am, edited 3/28/11 1:38 am - CA
 Hi Carmelita,

I am actually a military spouse, so my surgeon is a military surgeon(goes to Iraq and Afghanistan every other year).  Military hospitals AKA Military Treatment Facilities are "learning" hospitals. We military folk know this going in. My original surgeon did my resleeve. He is a very talented surgeon. He was just super conservative on making his sleeves....after my first sleeve I do believe a good part of my upper stomach fundus was still there(because I had a very large stomach to begin with). I had no problem getting my resleeve and my surgeon "got er done" this time. I have never had this particular kind of restriction before. Now I know what ya'll are talking about 

Blessings,
Jenny
110lbs lost

P.S. All's well that ends well 
Eula "Evie" R.
on 3/28/11 12:18 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Hi, I am waiting to hear from the ins co. You know I am having second thoughts also. My family is so against this surgery, that is the only reason I am having 2nd thoughts. I have been throw all the testing, but still am wondering.
God bless, will pray that we will be in God's will either way we go. So you are not alone.

God Bless
Evie
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 74 views