One week out - gas and warm liquids

cindyls06
on 3/27/11 12:33 pm - Marietta, GA
Hi, I am a little over 1 week out and I have a question about this gas in my body.

If I take a teaspoon full, sip, small gulp of cold water I feel a gas pain in my upper body that makes me stop whatever I am doing it bothers me so much. Today I tried to only drink warm/hot liquids and it has lessened this by like 100 times. I don't understand why??

Also, I have tried using that camelbak water bottle people rave about and it caused a MAJOR gas problems. I just want to know when this gas is going to end????

I sip, walk, rest.  I will say that my sleeve is sensitive and I am a week my surgeons food schedule behind since it swoll up and I was in the hospital for almost a week. So I try to be tender with it - it is also temperamental.

I am doing clear liquids with the occasional full liquid thrown in a couple of times a day. Oh and Gas-X strips were a bust and walking barely helps.I now look at ice pop as if they are torture devices..

I am SO FRUSTRATED right now!

LynetteT
on 3/27/11 12:41 pm - Gwinnett County, GA
Hang in there Cindy.  The gas is a monster.  I found myself a many of nights just pacing the floor and slurping on popsicles.  Cold liquids were better for me. Hot was ok, but I always seem to reach for cold beverages.  Now if I can just slow when eating.  That is when I experience the most discomfort.  It is like a tight pressure in my upper chest.  It has been depressing at times because I dont want to become dependent on the shakes for my protein.  I'll keep taking it day by day.  You do the same.  We will be loving our sleeves soon.  Lol
HW:297-SW:278-CW-220-GW-150--http://www.youtube.com/user/sarahsmomma1

cindyls06
on 3/27/11 1:09 pm - Marietta, GA
Thanks Lynnette!  I appreciate your response and encouragement. I am going to take it one day it at a time. It is rough though and you are right about the depressing part. I just had a run in with some diet hot chocolate that my sleeve rejected and when things like that happens it puts a downer on me for several hours sometimes the rest of the day.

But I know eventually I will feel differently. It is just going to take some time. :)

Ladydivigirl
on 3/27/11 2:05 pm
Cindy, I'm a newbie with my sleeve, too. Just 5 days. I have not experience any gas pains, so I can't help you there. But my dr. bariatric team did tell me when drinking liquids...stay away from the extremes in temperatures...don't drink anything too cold-room temperature and not too hot..wait till there is no steam coming out of the drink....like tea..warm, not hot...or it may cause pain. I don't know it that's what the problem is because everybody is different.  They told me if I got gas..to do what you are already doing walk, walk, walk...hopefully the pain will decrease as time goes on. Hang in there!!!

"The will of God will not take me where the GRACE of God cannot protect me!"    
cindyls06
on 3/27/11 2:12 pm - Marietta, GA

Ladydiva - YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo blessed not to have this gas problem. I am officially jealous.
But thanks for that advice, I will definitely be more careful with the extremes. But it does seem odd that ice pops are what they gave me in the hospital and its all over the paperwork for food stages on what I should eat and that is the most extreme cold. But maybe that is just if you have gas problems.

Thanks for responding!  -Cindy

Whitney J.
on 3/27/11 2:45 pm - CA
 Hi, I am the same spot as you. I'm 5 days post op and am trying to figure this out. The temp. of liquids doesn't seem to matter. It's when they get to the point right under my rib cage. It is extremely painful. I'm trying to decide if it's gas, swallowing to fast, swallowing to much or what. I'd love to figure it out so I can start feeling better. Let me know when/if you find a solution. I know your solution may not be my solution but it's worth a try.
cindyls06
on 3/27/11 3:12 pm - Marietta, GA
Thanks for responding Whitney! It certainly is not fun..I am going to call my doctor tomorrow and try some things. I will definitely let you know!

Thanks - Cindy

Ratfinkshell
on 3/27/11 3:31 pm - Fullerton, CA
Does your Dr. have you on Prilosec? I was the same way until I started taking Prilosec and the bubbles went away, I hated that feeling!

HW:263 SW:236 CW: 163 GW:140-150

Revision to sleeve on 03/15/2011 due to broken band

Patricia Williams
on 3/27/11 4:10 pm
Yes, you will have gas.  Don't worry, it will get better.  Cold water did bother me after surgery.  But I turned to hot tea and room temp water.  My stomach stopped cramping after I switched.  This will get better.  I can now drink cold water.  It sounds like things are going well for you besides the cold liquids.  Just take one day at a time and do what the doctor tell you, good luck
Working on my dreams  Lost 24lbs preop

phatnurse
on 3/28/11 10:12 am
You know what? I've had more gas problems today than I've had at any other time post op (I'm 3 days out). I'm trying to burp, but the burps get stuck in my chest right along with whatever it is that I'm trying to swallow at the time.

I've really been wondering the same thing about this pain. I can best describe mine as a "golf-ball sized knot that forms in my chest" everytime I get ready to swallow anything......any temperature, any size gulp, any texture. Please make note, though, that I'm still on my doc's Phase II (which is protein shakes with clear liquids between). I've been following the 30 minute rule about not drinking anything 30 minutes before or after my shake, but it's just not working for me.

I'm going to try the gas-X strips that everybody's been talking about. I'll keep you posted and please do the same. Good luck, fellow sleever!

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten. Change starts from within.....             
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views