Newbie saying 'Hi', VSG in June 2011

sleevegirl
on 3/29/11 9:06 am, edited 3/29/11 9:07 am - Austin, TX
Hi :)

Just wanted to introduce myself. Finally. I've been stalking you guys off and on since I got serious about wanting a VSG in 2009, I went to a seminar with my surgeon, googled his name and ended up here along the way. I first started thinking about weightloss surgery around 2005 but fear kept me from doing it (that and the misguided belief that I could "do it myself".)

I'm in Austin, TX and have two kids in elementary school. I own my own business and work at home. My slowest time of the year is June/July so I've opted to hold off having the surgery until then, plus I have a week long business trip in early May. My husband has Summers off so he'll be available to handle things while I recover. This is my "grand plan" anyway :) I won't bore you with the life story, I got here no matter how I got here, and now I'm looking to get the heck somewhere else. I'm on high blood pressure medication, use a CPAP machine and have a fatty liver. I'm hoping to reverse those :) My insurance has an exclusion so we're cash pay (surprisingly we should be able to refi the house - for 1.5% less AND a lower payment - and not have to use a credit card).

I thought by now that I knew it all seeing as I've been reading so much. The surgeon's office answered some stuff (I met with the nutrition and fitness people today, psych eval is tomorrow - I'm nervous about that one, I've never met with a mental health professional before). Anyway, I figure it doesn't hurt to ask a few "real life" questions I have.

But first, is there a way to click on a link and have it go to your last read message in that thread? I've always just scrolled until I figured out where I left off, but it'd be easier. I've used message boards extensively over the years, but this one has me flummoxed. (I'm also nervous about posting even though I know you guys probably won't bite my head off).

First - protein drinks. I'm being told that the pre and post op diet, they want me to get in 70 grams of protein per day. I should first say that I have a number of weird allergies. I'm allergic to soy, almost all fruits (except for berries and bananas) and all nuts. I have to be careful about what I eat/drink/etc. So, I'm guessing it's whey or either egg white protein shakes. I also do not drink milk very often. So, for those of you that mix with water... what's the least disgusting of the bunch?

I see protein bullets and "quick" single pack things. I'll be traveling a few hours for several days for a conference one month after my surgery. We'll be staying in a hotel and I'm thinking these are my best bet for those meals I simply cannot eat. (all places have yogurt for breakfast so I should be okay, but lunch and dinner will be difficult). Again, what is your faves? Keeping in mind, no soy, no fruit (except banana and berries), no nuts and I'm not a milk fan. *laughing*

(Yeah, it's difficult, I know). I figure I'll grab a few samples from whatever you guys suggest and go from there. I did order a sample pack from Chike and I emailed Designer Whey to see if they had samples available.

As I mentioned, I'm nervous about the psych evaluation. It's only 45 minutes, so I assume they just want to know that I know what I'm getting myself into that I know this isn't a magic carpet ride to skinnyville, right?

They gave me a list of vitamins they'll want me to take after (chewable multi with mineral supplement, chewable iron, chewable calcium, B-12). They said they sell Bariatric Advantage there, is there a cheaper place to get it from? I'm always looking for a deal :)

Are you sick of me yet?

Oh, she mentioned plain protein powder. Does she mean like fibersure to add to yogurts and stuff?

And if I may have a little girl moment. I know I'm going to lose some of my hair. I'm a little upset about it, but know it's temporary. But I've worked so hard to grow this mess back out (grey hairs and all!). Has anyone been sucessful in reducing the amount they lose? Is it hopeless? If I get all of my vitamins and protein in is there a better chance of not losing so much? How long did it take to start thickening back up?

Okay... that's it from me.

xoxo - SG

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

shrinkydink1
on 3/29/11 9:13 am
Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
~K~            
sleevegirl
on 3/30/11 4:32 pm - Austin, TX
 Thanks for the welcome, Stephen!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views