VSG and diet pills.

Elena22
on 4/4/11 1:43 am
Just curious, has anyone tried herbal fat burners or other diet pills such as Alli along with their VSG to aide in their weight loss?
~ Elena.

USAF Wife
on 4/4/11 2:03 am
Nope, it wasn't necessary. Plus, those things had never done anything positive for me in the past, I knew they weren't going to do anything positive during my losing stage.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

sleevedinjanuary2011
on 4/4/11 2:16 am
hey tiff..i totally realize this isn't relevant to this post at all but i just wanted to say congrats on your pregnancy and all the great information you share!  you were the first person that reached out to me on verticalsleevetalk and really helped motivate me to jump start this whole process.

whenever anyone asks what my goal weight is i say 120 (i'm 5'2..i think we're a similar height - and this would put me in the middle of the normal range) and they're like "umm..isn't that too skinny and how would you get that small?" and in my head i always think "yeah but tiff did it...!"

sleevedinjanuary2011
on 4/4/11 2:12 am
 i haven't tried any of it but i'd be interested to find out if we can.  i'm still not entirely sure what Alli is or if it's something i'd want to put in my body but they sell it at costco in bulk!

i'm curious as to what the answer is as well..thanks for asking. 

ccbelle14
on 4/4/11 2:25 am - Minneapolis, MN
I've never tried it (before or after WLS), but my understanding is that Alli blocks the absorption of fat consumed. Since we can't really eat a lot with the sleeve, you're likely not eating a lot of fat anyway. I don't think it would help.

As for herbal fat burners, I also don't see the need to take them (for me personally). Other than a stall in my first month I've been losing steadily. Since you're so early out, I would say just follow your doctor's plan and allow your body to adjust. The weight will come off - focus on water/liquids and protein.

Highest Weight (2008): 360  Surgery Consult Weight: 340  Day of Surgery: 318
Height: 5'10"
Carmelita
on 4/4/11 2:30 am - Four Corners, NM
Crabadams72
on 4/4/11 2:32 am - Silver Spring, MD
My friend said that Alli will make you soil your pants if you aren't careful. It also makes you leak fat.

The other meds often contain chemicals that make you dehydrated. Something a post WLS person really doesn't need. I can see being impatient with the weightloss but I think I would have to trust that the tool will work as long as the rules are followed.
BeautyisherGODgiven
name

on 4/4/11 2:33 am
I would be concerened about some of  the stuff in those pill. Over the counter pill tend to have a large amount of caffine and the other pills you would have to see a dr to get anyways. But good luck
Follow my progress: www.youtube.com/user/livictori                           

OldMedic
on 4/4/11 2:45 am - Alvaton, KY
I know of no doctor that would recommend such things to anyone.  You are already on a very low fat, very low carbohydrate diet, and because of your sleeve, you can not eat very much.  There is absolutely no need to attempt to "boost" your weight loss.

Things like that COULD cause you serious problems.  Alli, as an example, might keep you from digesting the little fat that you do get, and your body does require some fat in the diet.

Please, don't even consider taking any herbal supplements, Alli or anything similar without clearing it with your doctor first.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

May D.
on 4/4/11 4:52 am, edited 4/4/11 4:54 am
Aren't PPI's like Prevacid, Omeprazole, etc.?  Well those aren't for weight loss or to curb hunger, those are to be taken because our stomachs produce the same amount of acid it did before surgery, so the PPI's lessen the acid for us.

Also, I wouldn't try any OTC weight loss aids because as USAF Wife said, they never worked for her before surgery, why would they work now?  I agree!!  

The diet industry makes a lot of money over stuff like Hoodia, etc., because they know people are desperate for a quick fix to lose weight and these companies know it doesn't work, that's why they come and go so fast.  All of us here made the ultimate sacrifice to get help with our weight loss with surgery, why would we need additional diet aids that only give us false hope?  Personally, I'm done with that stuff!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views