Advil 3x a day for 5 days?? Girly issues. 6wks of spotting.

Jen_L
on 4/4/11 11:51 pm - MN
So I'm 6 weeks out from my surgery and have been constantly spotting/light period the whole time.  I'm on the depo shot and haven't had a 'real' period in 2 years.  Nor did I ever have any spotting until the surgery.

My OB said to take Advil 3 times a day for 5 days and it should stop and go back to the way it was.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Did you get another advice that might work.  I was hoping that when I got my latest Depo shot of hormone it would help regulate it. It made it even lighter, but it's still there!

~Jen

Pre-op: -7     Month 1: -20 (-4, -9, -4, -3)   Month 2: -16 (-4,-3,-3,-3, -3)  Month 3: -14 (-3,-5,-4,-2)  Month 4: -11 (-2,-3,-2,-4)  Month 5: -10 (-4, -1, -2, -3)  Month 6: -4 (-2, -1, -1, -0)  Month 7: -8 (-4,-1,-1,-2)  Week 30:
byebyeburden
on 4/5/11 12:00 am
I don't think you can take Advil with VSG.  My doctor said "stay the HELL away from anything that could hurt your stomach".  He said only Tylenol.
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

Katester
on 4/5/11 12:01 am, edited 4/5/11 12:02 am
I don't know much about the depo except my surgeon told me that horomones store in fat cells. As we rapidly lose weight, it's VERY possible that a horomonal based BC (the pill or shot) become ineffective. He said if I insist on taking a pill then to use extra protection and use a rubber as well. I hope you use extra protection if you are "active" and don't completely rely on the shot...I have a Mirena and LOOOOOVE it!
estre40
on 4/5/11 12:14 am
I have no idea about the depo shot, but I do take Advil during my period, and I asked my surgeon he said NSAID's are fine... I think with the gastric bypass you can't but with the sleeve its perfectly fine...

kanga003
on 4/5/11 2:09 am
I've heard both as well... my surgeon says it's okay to take them... and if you are going to take them a lot  (like after an injury or something) you also take a PPI :-)

I guess the thing to know is that you are at an increased risk for ulcers...
Jennifer M.
on 4/5/11 2:13 am - Goodyear, AZ
I am pre-op but can tell as a nurse with 20 yrs experience that Katester is correct about the hormones stored in fat theory, so are toxins. So drink drink drink!!
Second DO NOT TAKE NSAIDS AFTER VSG!!!! Or any WLS for that matter. Our stomachs have been altered making them more prone to complications of bleeding and ulcers which are an extremely common side effect of NSAIDS, especially Ibuprofen (advil, motrin etc). The cause damage to normal stomachs and ours are a bit more sensative. Also in the event that it did cause bleeding/ulceration of your stomach you have less stomach surface to pick up the slack or if the ulceration is severe you won't have any stomach to remove!!! NOT WORTH THE RISK!! 
Any surgeon that tells a patient with so little stomach to take ibuprofen needs to be questioned.

Hope this helps!! I am adiment about what I say because I have already damage from a band and don't want to see others suffer the way I have.  
 ...a work in progress...    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views