Help? Pre and post workout eating?

DragonGirl
on 4/6/11 12:09 am - MN
I have been trying to hit the gym every day or at least 6 days a week. I do weights 3 days a week and cardio 3 days a week. I was wondering if I should be upping my calories a bit on the days I hit the gym? I usually take in between 600 to 800 calories a day and about 65 to 70 g of protein. I'm in kind of a stall-ish phase right now and wondering if this is why?

Should I be eating before or after my workouts?? Unfortunately my NUT wasn't impressive and I have to self pay for her so I'm hoping you guys can help!! 

Thank you!!
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
Leslie B.
on 4/6/11 12:24 am - MO
Well, I am still pretty new at all of this stuff.  But, my boyfriend was a personal trainer in college (bout 20 years ago)  He said to always have a protein shake after my workout because it will heal the muscles after working them so hard.  It is very amazing though because years ago when I would walk, I would just drink water.  I would be so hungry but because I was trying to loose weight I would not want to eat.  I would go to bed and be so sore.  Now I am not very sore at all.  I try to make that my big boost of protein.  I do an Isopure chocolate protein powder with water (goes down much better) and I use 2 scoops (50g protein)  I hope this helps.   On my workout days, I have about 95g of protein.  On days I don't work out its about 60-70g protein.  He also told me to always mix it up.  Dont do the same thing everyday.  One day legs, next cardio, then next day chest/arms, cardio and then start over.  That way your body never gets used to the same workout and doesnt become immune to what your doing.  By increasing your protein you will increase a few calories.  Good luck, I really hope this helps you.  Leslie

"I am so happy with my new life, would not change it for anything!"
Lalamonkey
on 4/6/11 12:26 am - GA
Hey there again...

I met with my NUT last week.  I exercise 5 days a week - 3 with pretty heavy cardio, other days walking, biking etc.  She told me I needed to be no lower than 800 and up to 1200 (I think 1200 is too high).  She also told me to add some complex carbs (not a lot) to help with energy and to keep the protein above 60g.  She warned me that if my calories were too low I would stop losing and that when/if I did to up the calories.

Keep up the great work!
Jp2lose
on 4/6/11 12:36 am - Omaha, NE
I found I need a protein drink with carbs in it after my workouts to refuel and repair my muscles. When I skip this my workouts become sluggish. My post work out drink of choice is a smoothie made with protein powder, fruit, and skim milk (and a little Splenda and vanilla for flavor).

When I work out hard I deplete all of the glycogen stores in my muscles and I need to replenish them with some carbs.

Everyone is different and has different programs, but this is what I have found I need to do to keep up my regime and continue to lose.

Jen

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 60 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 60 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 240 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views