I hate protein shakes....

Jasonm11
on 4/11/11 12:47 am
I got in 6 ounces this morning before dry heaving....at least it stayed down....

If I make a conscious attempt I am able to get down about 60 grams from food.  The doc wants me to drink 1 to 2 per day.  I am thinking they don't believe that I can reliably get down 60-75 grams from food, and they are probably correct.  Weekends are the most difficult.  I'll end up looking at the clock and it being about 3 pm and I haven't even ate anything that day.  Work week is a little easier because I am constantly looking at a clock and can make a schedule......

Anyways....all else is great....I'm just past a month out and down about 45 pounds or so.  Feeling great and all that...drinking about 50 ounces of water...all is well...

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
ArmyWifeandMommy
on 4/11/11 12:57 am
What kind are you drinking?  I started making my own and here is my FAVORITE!!

1.5 cups of chocolate soy milk light
2 tbsp of peanut butter
1 scoop chocoloate protein powder
ice

Blend that sucker up and you got a reeses tasting protein shake!!  I look forward to them now however I do either cut all that in half except the protein powder if I want to do 2 a day because it is about 400 calories.  If I drink one of them though it takes me all morning and half way through lunch to get down.

OldMedic
on 4/11/11 12:59 am - Alvaton, KY
You are likely trying to drink way too much, way too early.  That is what is making you sick, and being sick makes you want to avoid drinking protein shakes.

I used a shot glass myself.  I'd pour a shot of protein shake, drink it, and wait a good 10-15 minutes before I had another.  I found that I was able to get in a LOT more protein that way.  As time went on, I moved up to a 2 ounce container, then a four ounce one, and so on.  I kept my protein sakes in the fridge, shook the heck out of it, and poured in my "ration".

You can do the same thing with a thermos at work.

Just keep the amount small, so your stomach can handle it easily.  That's the trick, keeping it to quantities that your stomach can easily handle, and NOT pushing it too early.  Also, try adding flavorings to your protein shake.  I used Orange, Almond, Strawberry, Mint and several other flavorings.  You can find them in the baking section of any supermarket.  They make a HUGE difference.

The colder the shake is, the easier it is to get down.  They are not gourmet food (not by ANY  stretch of the imagination), so keeping it really cold helps.

I also have a half gallon insulated picther/jug that I carried (and I still do carry) around with me.  I keep it filled with ice water (I fill it as soon as I get up in the morning), and sip on it till it's empty.  If I finish one pitcher I know I've gotten in 64 ounces of fluids (and that doesn't count anything else I drink).  I do a minimum of 1 jug each day, and usually closer to two of them.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Sunkissedsgrho
on 4/11/11 1:06 am - LA
I like the idea of the shot glass! I think I'll try that one. I'm working on the water intake. I WILL get my 64 oz. today! I wanna start making it a habit NOW so I'll adjust more easily after surgery. Love ya'lls suggestions! Keep em coming!
Jasonm11
on 4/11/11 1:06 am
It isn't a quanitity issue as I drink a very small sip at a time, else I do throw it right back up.  It is teh after taste.  It is great going down, then I smell and taste the butt hole taste that they all have and I start gagging....then from there on out I can't get them down until eventually I start dry heaving....ice cold has been the only way to even get the first 4 or so ounces down....

If only someone would make a non-butthole tasting shake.....

Water I have no issues drinking other than I forget too....but I could easily do 64 ounces a day if I remember to drink all day....I have a 32 ounce cup I fill with ice water first thing in teh morning while at work and drink....usually finish the first about noonish....then refill and drink as I get time in teh afternoon....then just have some at home to top off....I always make an effor to drink atleast 8 ounces just before bed....that way it wakes me up in case I forget to set my alarm....having to pee is the best alarm ever....lol

Sunkissedsgrho
on 4/11/11 1:00 am - LA
I HATE THEM TOO! That's been a major reason why I haven't started my liquid diet. I can't find a protein shake that I can tolerate! Ugh..... I will try that recipe the other poster suggested. Wonder if I can mix it with skim milk....
Jasonm11
on 4/11/11 1:01 am
The one I can almost drink is Nectar Chocolate Truffle...but its getting harder to drink....I am so picky when it comes to other stuff...won't touch soy milk....about the same reaction as the shakes....real milk makes me horribly sick to my stomach....and never have liked peanut butter....

luckily, I have had zero issues eating any kind of meat, beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc etc....I've been doing lots of fajita meats....a couple places around here make some that are well trimmed...so I've been living off meat for a week or two...lunch meats...stuff like that...the oscar meyer deli fresh sliced meats are good...
Sunkissedsgrho
on 4/11/11 1:06 am - LA
What did you drink preop?
Jasonm11
on 4/11/11 1:15 am
I didn't have a pre-op diet....eat normal up until Monday night, then liquids till noon Tuesday, nothing after then surgery at 7:00 am Wednesday....I tried alot of different shakes pre-op but all of them taste differnent now.  The sweet/clear/fruity ones are absolutely horrible post op.  I settled on Nectar Chocolate truffle but I decided to go straight milk one time and that made me so sick that ever since, I haven't been able to shake that feeling when drinking them.  I ended up throwing up in church that day while drinking it.  I really think it mostly a mental thing but I just can't shake it.....the taste and smell just gag me and once I start gagging its all downhill from there....

Jp2lose
on 4/11/11 1:32 am - Omaha, NE
My personal favorite right now is to mix 4 to 6 ounces of hazelnut cream decaf coffee with a ready to drink Premier Protein chocolate protein drink and add 3 tsp of flavored creamer - I like the mocha peppermint. I heat this like hot cocoa. Just heat small amounts at a time if you can't drink a lot. I emailed the manufacturer and it's ok to heat this protein drink as long as you don't boil it.

I also like to blend unflavored protein powder with skim milk and strawberries and add vanilla and splenda for a fruit smoothie.

You just need to start experimenting with the flavorings to dress them up a little like OldMedic said.

Another staple of my diet is what I call Protein Cheesecake. I like to eat it with some blueberries.

Protein Cheesecake:
1 box of sugar free, fat free instant cheesecake pudding
2 cups of fat free cottage cheese
1 cup skim milk
2 scoop unflavored protein powder
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup pourable Splenda or 12 packets of Splenda

Blend the cottage cheese until smooth. Add the milk, protein powder, vanilla, and Splenda. Blend again until smooth. Add the pudding mix and blend.

Pour into 7 ½ cup containers.

Nutrition for ½ cup: 89 calories, 0 gm fat, 9 gms carbs, 5 gms sugar, 12 gms protein.

Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views