Where to donate clothes??

Laura C.
on 4/13/11 12:35 am - Fairfield, PA
My best friend and I were sleeved about a month apart and we are both dropping sizes quickly.    Between the two of us we have a ton (pun intended) of clothes piling up.  Some are "professional" type outfits and some are casual wear.  

Looking for suggestions on the best organizations to donate clothes.  I'd like to see them go to an organization that will "give" them to people in need.  I'd rather not see people have to pay for them.

Any suggestions?

Laura

Elaine2
on 4/13/11 12:43 am - Atlanta, GA
Some communities have Dress for Success programs where they train and help dress woman going for interviews and into the workforce....your more professional outfits.

Also, sometimes women's shelters have closets for women who left with only the clothes on their backs. These might be a little hard to find though for security reasons. You might try your local United Way for a contact.

lorileebee
on 4/13/11 12:48 am - Aurora, IL
Hi Laura,
I feel the same exact way about donating my clothes.
I dont want them to be sold, I want them to go to someone who can really use them and really cant afford to pay money for them.
I donate mine to the local homeless shelter's Transistional Living Community where
there are residents that are looking for jobs and need the proper clothes to do so.
Also, I have donated to Battered Woman's shelter. They also always need clothing and larger women's clothing are very hard to come by.

Lori
encourage38
on 4/13/11 12:56 am
HI LAURA YOU CAN ALSO FIND CHURCHES THAT HAVE CLOTHING CLOSET OR WHY NOT JUST HAVE FREE YARD SALE WEEKEND.ALSO IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF MORE CLOTHING QUICKLY YOU MAY HAVE WHAT YOU CALL PLATO'S IN THE AREA THEY BUY YOUR CLOTHING OR YOU CAN TRADE IT OFF FOR SOME FOR YOURSELF.YOU CAN FIND NICE ITEMS NEW AND USED.IF I WAS NEAR YOU IWOULD GET THEM WE HELP PEOPLE IN NEED.

RACHEL
ANA B.
on 4/13/11 1:10 am - ALTOONA, PA
WE HAVE A VETERAN'S HOME IN OUR AREA AND THERE ARE A FEW WOMEN WHO CALL THIS HOME.
  VSG 2/10/11                                             DR. ALVAREZ-MY HERO

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 1:46 am - Castle Rock, CO
 great and favorite NSV of mine.. i donate them into the bins in front of my local stores that have them.. i am not sure where they'll end up but hoping it goes to folks for free as well 
Laura C.
on 4/13/11 1:48 am - Fairfield, PA
FABULOUS IDEAS!!!!  Thanks so much! 

Happy966
on 4/13/11 2:41 am
I donate to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. I know they sell the clothes, but very cheaply and it helps provide jobs for people in transition.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

USAF Wife
on 4/13/11 7:36 am
Any women's shelters, and Dress for Success are both fabulous donation sites. I took all of my business casual, and business clothing to the local women's shelter that helps women get back on their feet.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views