Ideas for the Unexpecte Delays in Eating

jluvsme
on 4/19/11 8:15 pm - HI
I am now just over three weeks out from surgery and I am so happy.  But I have run into situations where I thought I would be going out for a short time and it ended up to be hours and hours before I could get home.  Refilling my water bottle is no problem but making sure the protein keeps going in is another challenge.

What do you carry around in your car or purse or whatever for these rescue situations?

I am thinking of keeping a cooler with protein drinks, string cheese etc. 

Two of our friends died last week a few days apart and each time we dropped by their hospital for a visit and it ended up being a long journey with them until they passed.  One day I brought the cooler and protein but another day it was no food for a long time. 

Then I realized some days  at work can be marathons too and I want to come up with strategies that will be easy to use when I go back to work in a few weeks. 

PaulaS
on 4/19/11 9:10 pm - TX
I'm only two weeks out and have no answers, but have been wondering the same thing myself!  Looking forward to some suggestions!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
ptatum
on 4/19/11 10:32 pm - Oceanside, CA
I did some practice before my surgery like during the fourth month when I met the diet nurse and psycololgist. I purchaced individual packets in a box of 12- three diffrent flavores and I took one to work for my lunch with fruit. I purchased their protein bars from the weight loss clinic and vitamins. On the days of my appointments I stocked up my food. I still do so I don't run out.  I plenty of 16 oz bottles of water in the trunk of my car so I can make a shake at anytime. In my work bag I drop in a couple of protein bars everyday couple packets of shakes. I buy string cheese take some extra and keep in the fridge at work. Also shaved turkey lunch meat(the healthy type). Greek yogurt can be kept in the fridge to. Get some crystalite stickes and mix them together thwy taste good!!!

Kim_M
on 4/19/11 11:05 pm - LaPorte, TX
I carry a small 8oz shaker and protein powder in my car.If I need a fix I take a run to the car with a cold bottle of water.I drink 4oz shakes.Dessert is the brand for me.

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
Rosefairy
on 4/19/11 11:35 pm
 I pre pack my lunches everyday and always pack one meal extra just in case.  I also keep Protein soy potato chips 110 cal 10 grams protein a bag ranch/BBQ/Salt & Vinegar  www.bariatricchoice.com in the car and at the office.  It has also helped me not crave crunchy carbs.  You just chew chew chew.

KrisJ77
on 4/20/11 12:38 am - TX
Special K protein bars...10 grams of yummieness!!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 12:52 am
I'd carry a couple packs of protein powders now while I'm still not cleared for foods.. then when I am eating- I'll be packing my fav protein snack- Ostrim Natural flavor beef & ostrich.. I was a Slim Jim fan (they'd do in a pinch too..) but these are soo good & low fat!
FizzyJ
on 4/20/11 1:05 am
It's hard now for me because I'm on purees now but I think my plan will be, once on reg food, I will keep a box of protein bars in my car. Just something to get me by.

Horde_Luvr
on 4/20/11 1:08 am - Baytown, TX
I typically do the same thing and forget to eat druing the day, especially if it is a hetic day at work or a weekend that my husband and I spend on the motorcycles (cant eat or drink while riding one).  Also trying to watch calories and yet get protein in is hard when away from the comfort of your own cupboard.

I typically carry the following in my purse and keep some at my desk at work

beef jerky (I buy the big bags and then measure out one ounce and put those in the snack size zlipoc)
Protidiet drink concentrate (15g of protein and it mixes great into a bottle of water)
Protein Chips (usually 10g of protein and helps give me my crunch fix)
Flavored Protein Powder (one serving 22g of protein, can always mix it with a bottle of water but its last resort)
Unflavored protein powder --can be sprinkled on tons of things--search for a really good one that has very little taste. (i typically mix this with a smoothie from starbucks and it bumps it up to 32g of protein---you can also get starbucks to just add an extra scoop of protein).
Cheese sticks (office only due to cooling issues)
Chiobani greek yogurt (office only due to cooling issues)

I also have a bag that looks like a purse/bag but is insulated like a cooler.  I use this when I know I will not be near a fridge but need/want to take items that need to be kept cool.   

Highest Weight Recorded 359.  Surgery Weight 340.  31 Years Old.  5'10" (started out 6')    
jluvsme
on 4/20/11 6:09 pm - HI
Wow! These are all great replies.  I think I can automate this once I practice a while longer.  I want to keep my momentum going and not get held back by the inevitable events of life. 

Protein bars are ok, but often I can't deal with all that sweetness.  I have to find the right protein powders to mix with cold water that don't end up gritty too.  Right now I have been using the blender at home but I gotta step out further and try to do it like I would if I was out and had no access to home. 

Many gas station snack shops carry ready to drink Muscle Milk Light but that's $4 a bottle here in Hawaii. 

I am so grateful for this forum to get support and answers. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views