Pre-op Pregnancy scare! (men cover your ears)

nuyvon79
on 4/30/11 1:52 am, edited 4/30/11 1:57 am
It has been an enventful week. After like  1&1/2 years of going through everything with kaiser, I finally got my surgery date Tuesday, Woo hoo!!! Then, tornados ripped through my home state Alabama (Huntsville) and  I couldn't get in touch with my family for two days.Finally talked to my Mom yesterday, no power or gas for a week but thank God they are ok.
Toward the end of the week I realize I handn't had a period in two monthsI took a pregnancy test and it was negative. I took another one this morning and same thing, negative. The only other sympton I have are sore sore breast. I have  a regular cycle since I got off depo last year and our normal bc methond is condoms, well 90% of the time....you know how that goes. So the possibility is there that I can be pregnant. I abosulely hate all hormonal bc methods. Depo turned me into a zombie that I didn't even recognize. I gain weight, irritable, sleepy all the time....synthetic hormones are the devil. I've been researching better non hormonal methods. I'm not sure about the paraguard IUD or nuva ring. I'm worried about an IUD causing infertility in some cases (due to medical issues I already have had)  and with the nuva ring, I"m not sure if I'm comfortable going up in there like that.

Anyway, it just got me thinking, what would happen if I get pregnant  since I already have my surgery date ,which is July 31st. I'm not so worried about having to put off surgery until after I give birth. I'm okay with that and I actually would be really excited to be preggers I am 31 one with no children so I would like to have kids very soon and we want to start trying as soon as we can after surgery and I've lost the weight and maintaining. But, I'm wondering what will happen with my authorization for bariactic surgery if I have to wait couple of months after I give birth. I do know my authorization is good for a year with kaiser and I can put the surgery off for a couple of months, I just  hope I don't run out of time and will I have to repeat things again.

Since I had two negatives, I'll wait a couple of more days and take another test and make a gyn appointment to get a blood test to make sure. In the mean time, I really need to figure out a good bc method for now, preop and at least one year post surgery. I was just wondering if any of you ladies had a similar issue or any suggestions. Thanks!

SW: 281 CW: 202
Only got one shot to do this thing called life, and I'm gonna make it a winner     
SassyItalian
on 4/30/11 2:05 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
scary..i know the authorizations for cardiac clearance and things like that are only good for about 3 months..you would have to put it off until after giving birth.

as far as the IUD, etc I am looking into that also. there is a copper iud- called paraguard- involving no synthetic hormones but you may have a heavier period from it..that being said if you cant tolerate hormones it might be best.

mirena is a newer iud, my ob/gyn who is a fertility doc prefers this and has really good results from it but it does release hormones so it might not be good for you.

as with any bc method, there are always risks. my doc has gotten better results with IUD's than other methods.

for myself I dont want to worry about the pill every day anymore when I know I cant afford kids/ it isnt the right time and wont be for several years..

good luck to you and i hope you figure out what is going on with your body.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

nuyvon79
on 4/30/11 2:10 am
Thanks SassyItalian. I hope I figure out what's going on too. As far as the pill, I might as well not be on anything because I forget to take the pill every day. I think I will look into the paragard more. I also heard of implanon but I think that has hormones too. I may just have to deal with hormones for at least another year.

Samie521
on 4/30/11 2:40 am - NJ
VSG on 04/06/11 with
I had a friend and her surgery was rescheduled and she had to go through all the testing and everything again because it was more then 6 months i believe!!  As for as birth control I have Mirena IUD and its good for 5yrs and I love it, I had a baby almost 2 yrs ago and didnt want anymore kids so I choose mirena, they do have a 10 yr one but I didnt want that one because I liked the fact I wouldnt get my period anymore w mirena!!  But the 10 yr one u do get ur period!  Best of luck I hope everything works out for u!!!

Jenijeni
on 4/30/11 3:01 am
Have you looked into a cervical cap? My girlfriend has one and really likes it.

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

nuyvon79
on 4/30/11 9:20 am
Hmmm....thanks for the suggestion. I just googled cervical cap. Looks like a good option.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views